What IS ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
As I take my ash bucket out to the back yard in the snow, I had the question ....... what is ash?
And why doesn't it burn like the rest of the wood does? And are there types of wood that create more ash than others? Is an ash tree high in ash production?
And can I call the pit in my backyard that I dump my bucket my "ashhole"?

stockdoct said:
As I take my ash bucket out to the back yard in the snow, I had the question ....... what is ash?
And why doesn't it burn like the rest of the wood does? And are there types of wood that create more ash than others? Is an ash tree high in ash production?
And can I call the pit in my backyard that I dump my bucket my "ashhole"?
Yes sir on the last question!

It depends on what temp you burn it at, but it's largely CaCO3. It also contains potassium, phosphorous, silica, and other inorganic compounds. The tree mines nutrient that it needs from the soil, and whatever is too refractory to burn off remains, so it is a good source of many nutrients for the garden (but is a strong, quick liming agent, so must be applied sparingly or composted first). The species of tree and other factors strongly effect the assay.

I use ash in pottery glazes, and it is very different from species to species in how it comes out- so I process larger batches at a time and stock it up all at once.

I can't help but saying "HOT-ASH coming through" Whenever I carry it outside to my steel drum for disposal. My wife just shakes her head in hope that maybe next time I won't say it!

Status
Not open for further replies.