What is best way to dry wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tgarland

Mar 12, 2006
Hi.
I usually store wood in my garage. Someone told me today best way of storing it was outside - exposed to sunshine and covered. That right?

tom

Defiantly outside so that the air can get to it. If it gets air and sun then twice as good for drying.

tgarland said:
Hi.
I usually store wood in my garage. Someone told me today best way of storing it was outside - exposed to sunshine and covered. That right?

tom

That is right.

Short term storage in the garage is fine.... like before a blizzard or a week of rain during the buring season.

if you built one in the attic it would be dry by july. just think of putting that 120 or so degree dry temp to work. does anyone have a crane :ahhh:

Best way to dry wood is outside. I think most will agree, the fastest way to dry wood is

#1 the sun, having your wood in the sun and no wind, is better than having it in the wind and no sun.

#2 the wind. The same size puddle, the one with wind blowing across it will dry faster than the one without.

#3 covering the tops helps a bit particularly if your piles don't get a lot of sun.

My father lives 4 houses down and has his wood piles right up to a tall solid plastic fence that's in the perfect orientation to prevent the wind from blowing through his piles. They're in direct sunlight though for around 6 hours a day. I have my wood piles in the open and the wind freely blows through them 24/7 but they don't get a lot of sunlight (neighbors trees). My fathers takes 4-5 months and mine 7-8.

I guess one can think of your wood like what's best to dry wet laundry, hanging your wet laundry in the garage is probably not a good idea. Hanging it outside in the shade won't work as well as hanging it in the sun either. But, put it in the sun, wind, and air it will dry quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.