What is the best equipment and proper way to install the fresh air vent for a pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tattoo_nepa

Dec 4, 2010
Northeast PA
I bought a used pellet stove and do not have the fresh air pipes that was used before. What type of pipe and termination should i use for the magnum baby countryside pellet stove? Thank you

tattoo_nepa said:
I bought a used pellet stove and do not have the fresh air pipes that was used before. What type of pipe and termination should i use for the magnum baby countryside pellet stove? Thank you

While the manual must be consulted it must be made of metal and the outside termination must be protected from the wind, this is frequently done with a angled metal plate, but that isn't the only way.

The intake should be plugged or covered during the non burning season to both stop humid air from entering the stove and causing rust, and to prevent the entry of small critters and insects.

The manual will speak to the proper sizes and maximum run lengths.

ETA: Save your self a lot of grief and really clean that stove before you bring it in the house. Most problems with pellet stoves is because of ash filled air paths, the reason a lot of used ones are on the market is because the original owner never really maintained them and they really crudded up.

Cleaning doesn't just mean brush the ash off the fake fire brick, empty the burn pot, and ash pan. Every thing from the air intake to the exhaust output of the combustion blower needs to be cleaned. Behind a lot of those fake well cleaned fire brick panels lurks the ash traps from hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.