What is the flame supposed to look like?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpapagolos

Aug 26, 2008
SE MA
Anyone have a video of what a pellet flame should look like? I am not convinced my stve is burning 1000%
I will post video of mine later.
Thanks
Dan

Here is one I posted on YouTube a couple of months ago of the first fire in my new Castille.

Here

Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNgecZ154JM

This will give you a good idea even though the video isn't the best of quality. Most describe it as an angry flame. The height of the flame varies depending on how high you are running the stove and your feed rate.

I watched both videos and what I want to understand is how consistent the flames should be? I have a Lopi Yankee, what I see is the flames will go from very high reaching the heat exchange tubes to a smoldering pot. The stove is set to Medium/high Heat and Medium/high Fan (both in the yellow lights area on the panel for anyone who has the same stove). I know the flames do fluctuate but this seems like a lot. The damper is pulled out to just above the line between the 2 and the 3. It is a very new stove. I get a lot of brown soot on the glass door-could clean it daily. When I adjusted the airflow, I tried pulling it out more and the pellets jumped out of the pot. The way it is now I get many sparks but almost no pellets coming out of the pot. Does all of this sound correct? I guess I thought on medium the room would heat up more then it does now that the frost has arrived, the stove seems to be going constantly even though I have the thermostat set to 69 on the remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.