What is the moisture content of a beetle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
When I grabbed a split this evening something felt odd. Under my hand was a very live beetle. He must have just woken up from being out in the cold. He came in on a split last night.

So when he went in the stove I started to wonder...

What is the moisture content of a beetle? How many BTU are in one? If you had enough beetles, and burned them at a low temp would they create creosote?

:lol:

Matt

Don't burn them.

Dried they taste good and crunchy! Fresh, rather juicy and crunchy. Don't waste any protein.

Bit surprised to see him, but not spooked by him.

Last time I was scared was when I was out in the field at a friends farm. He was showing me a bridge he built and I happened to look down at my feet. There was a snake wrapping itself around my leg. Yeah, I jumped and shrieked. I don't mind snakes and such, I just don't like to be surprised like that.

I've got a fun story about a rat the size of a cat launching itself out of a garbage can at me one night too. The only way I can verify the size is a neighbor must have set out poison 'cause we found it dead in the backyard.

Matt

Before I proudly turned my low efficient fireplace into a hearth for my stove, we twice had black snakes that climbed down the chimney (don't ask me how they got on the 2 story roof). Of course, the firebox was black too and you never knew if it was just a bird so you had to be careful opening the door. ;) The snakes were BIG so it was always fun to get my mom to come in just at the same time we "discovered" them, lol

blueridgelvr said:
Before I proudly turned my low efficient fireplace into a hearth for my stove, we twice had black snakes that climbed down the chimney (don't ask me how they got on the 2 story roof). Of course, the firebox was black too and you never knew if it was just a bird so you had to be careful opening the door. ;) The snakes were BIG so it was always fun to get my mom to come in just at the same time we "discovered" them, lol

That is just so mean and cruel, I love it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.