What is the purpose and function of this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
I am referring to the bricks on the shelf of this Lopi insert. It is in the third pic in the link I posted. I am considering buying this stove and would like to know a bit about it if anyone knows anything. Is it capable of the secondary burn that I have read about? I saw the air intake holes above the doors and wondered if that is what would allow the secondary burn to happen. Would this insert be any good as a part time heat provider or should I wait and get a newer, more efficient model? Anyway, thanks for any info you can provide.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/for/1536071763.html

Also, can you upload pics from your own pc or do you have to have them on photobucket or similar site?

Thanks,
Rob

That is the baffle assembly of the stove. The bricks are so the the heat is concentrated better in the firebox. It may be capable of a simple secondary burn, but not like current EPA phase 2 stoves. It won't qualify for a tax credit.

Still, it is a rugged, good heater and looks to be in decent condition. With some paint and polish it could look pretty nice.

Thanks for the reply. The bricks I was inquiring about are those on top of the baffle. It looks like they are in a V shape but not sure. I thought they may be there for weight but figured I'd ask you guys.

Thanks again,
Rob

They look like they are to spread the flame path out.

Status
Not open for further replies.