what is the purpose of the refract peice on the inside of the door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
Im not sure if thats what you call it or not, but mine broke on my dutchwest. Amyone know where to buy one online? thanks

Seems they are all doing that. Take a look at tradergordo's posts on the subject. He made his own.

I agree with BB. I followed TG's instructions to the T and made my own. Rutland sells a decent castable product. It's real easy--save your holiday money and make your own.

my question still stands, what is it for. seems kinda useless

Hanko said:
my question still stands, what is it for. seems kinda useless

It insulates the door casting from the intense heat in the stove. Other cast iron stoves use cast iron burn plates between the firebox and the stove body to do the same thing. That stuff sacrifices itself first and is replaceable rather than having the outside castings die from fatigue

Ah, OK that makes sense. I guess I better think about replacing mine. thanks I appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.