What is the styrofoam board in my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kybowtie

Jan 9, 2011
Northern Kentucky
Just wondering what the styrofoam board is in my stove. Getting ready to light my first fire, but I want to know if i need to take this board out, or leave it in there. I can find nothing telling me what it is.

Many Thanks.

Are you referring to the upper most block in the stove? That could be your vermiculite baffle which you do not want to remove. Its a bit like Styrofoam.

If it is laying on top of the baffle tubes, it is the ceramic baffle board. It should be there.

If it looks like this

881364c84f495cf756c5491c3d6809115d5881de.jpg

It is supposed to be there.
If it is white, and you can squeeze it to almost nothing with your fingers, it is packing material and should come out.

Rob

that is a ceramic baffle that helps ignite your secondary tubes, DO NOT REMOVE!!!!!! fire it up!!!!

kybowtie said:
Just wondering what the styrofoam board is in my stove. Getting ready to light my first fire, but I want to know if i need to take this board out, or leave it in there. I can find nothing telling me what it is.

Many Thanks.

did you get the buck from a dealer, new/used? if you did i cant believe they didnt explain to you what it is!! do you have a manual? i guess i want you to make sure it is what its suppose to be. that particular stove does have a ceramis baffle board above the secondary stainless tubes but you need to make sure that it what it is. does it have like a cloth type feel to it? it should.

I left it in there.

The dealer didn't tell me much since I did the install myself. They really wanted me to spend $750.00 to have their installer put it in, and I couldn't justify that expense when I was more than capable of doing it myself.

Had a fire going for a couple of hours and its working like a charm. I even went up into the attic to check things out, and everything is good.

Thanks for the help.

- Jim

The stove has been working great.

I cleaned my flue today, but put a quater-size hole in the baffle board. Will this keep me from having a fire tonight, or will it be ok to burn, till I can get another one?

They must make some of those baffle boards out of peanut brittle.

oldspark said:
They must make some of those baffle boards out of peanut brittle.

Luckily we don't have to worry about our baffles...lol

To the OP: I am pretty sure I have read on here about people using furnace cement to patch holes in their baffles maybe you could try that. I am sure someone will chime in with how they patched up a hole.

Were it me Jim, I would pack the hole with fiberglass insulation. It won't last but should get ya through the night. If you can, turn the baffle board where the hole up toward the front of the stove.

Leaving the hole open is gonna lead to some hot stove top temps.

Baffle board . . . it's pretty important . . . for both the stove and to achieve a clean, intense secondary-burn . . . shouldn't really have any holes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.