What is your room temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FixedGearFlyer

Burning Hunk
Oct 8, 2010
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I'm reading all of your posts about keeping your house at 75 or 78 degrees and have decided that:

a.) My family needs a lot less heat than everyone else's, or

b.) My room temp thermometer is broken.

75 degrees?! We got up to 76 when I stuffed too much wood in the stove a few weekends ago and opened all the windows! Based on our fancy digital thermometer, 65 is just about perfect for us. When our uber insulated second floor gets above 72 according to the alcohol thermometer stuck on our bedroom mirror, my wife, son, and I don't sleep well.

Do you folks really keep your houses that warm? Today was in the 40's here and we had a very short burn this morning that bumped the house from 59 to 65, then another burn this evening that kicked us from 62 to 68. By morning, we'll be back down to 60 or so and will do it all over again. If we burned any more than that, we'd cook ourselves right out of the house!

It's 85F right next to the stove (read: my livingroom). Since I'm going for the overnight burn tonight, I think it's ok at 10:30pm to be 85 here. If we lose a degree an hour, then in 12 hours when it starts to warm up it'll be 73F in the livingroom.

It's all what you are used to.

Personally, I HATE wearing shorts in the summer. But I spend most of the winter in them around my house :) And that for some strange reason that makes me a happy man.

BTW, stove is in the basement and I'm in that room now w/ my work cloths on "long sleeved dress shirt and slacks" and it's 80 on the nose, the upstairs kitchen / living / dining room is at about 76, the bedrooms on the far side of the house are prolly about 72 or so. By morning, take about 6-8 degrees off of each of those.

pen

It's 35 degrees outside, I have it at 76 on my first floor and 72 upstairs and we are comfy. I hope I can keep it like this all winter. I just threw a couple big ash chunks in and I figure it will be about 72 downstairs in the morning and few degrees cooler upstairs.

Yeah, living in da Yoop can certainly lead to a certain intolerance of heat. I'm usually fine well down into the 60's (67 in my office right now, and I'm wearing a t-shirt), but my wife (a troll*) and especially my daughter (a southern belle, apparently) prefer 72+.

(*For non-Michiganders, this is not a disparaging comment about her looks, but means she's from the LP, "below the bridge".)

I like the cold and snow as well as anyone . . . in fact I live for winter and snowmobiling (just bought a new-to-me sled by the way to replace my 2004 that had over 10,000 miles) . . . but we keep the house in the low 70s.

Why?

1) My wife hates the cold . . . and I like to keep my wife warm and happy so she doesn't think we should move to Florida.
2) I like wearing boxer shorts and t-shirts in the winter . . . at least around the house . . . I mean to say I don't go to town just wearing boxer shorts and t-shirts.
3) The hotter it gets, the less clothing my wife wears . . . OK, just so it doesn't sound like I'm a male pig . . . my wife tends to like wearing just an over-sized t-shirt and shorts around the house.

I have a small cape with a finished basement and that is where we spend most of our living during the day i try to keep it at about 75 but ill get it nice and toasty before bed because I want to keep the 2nd floor where the bedrooms are at a non-freezing temp. usually if the basement is 85 the first floor is 75 and the bedrooms on the second floor are 65, just right for sleeping.

FixedGearFlyer said:
75 degrees?!...Do you folks really keep your houses that warm?

Yes, but not the entire house. The stove is a space heater and we only have one.

FixedGearFlyer said:
Do you folks really keep your houses that warm?

That's my goal, yes.

My goal for the living room is 75-80.

My unit is in the basement, which when running, temps hover at around 72-76 which is alittle warm for us. Temps on the main floor are usually around 65-70 which is perfect. My upper floor where we sleep is usually 60-65 which is great for sleeping. Most of my main living is on the main floor but I plan to spend more time in the basement once it's finished and those temps may get a little warm for us. I seem to get maybe a 5 degree heat loss on average overnight and then I start all over again. By the way I am heating about 4500 square feet between all floors so heat never seems to get excessive except in my great room when I run the second fireplace.

I definitely like to keep the place warm for my wife because if not the only the only part of her body I will see between now and may are her two eyeballs peering out from the tiny crack between the hood on her sweatshirt and the blanket she will be wrapped up in

Status
Not open for further replies.