What I've got so far scrounging(8 pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Here's some pics of what I've scrounged so far since August.....really haven't "pushed" yet....just stuff I run into.
I believe Oak, Maple, and a piece or two of Locust
DSCN2054.jpg

Hickory ??....I can tell ya, the stuff is veeeery heavy
DSCN2055.jpg

Cherry ?....a fair amount... 3 P/U loads
DSCN2056.jpg

Some sort of Maple ?......not sure
DSCN2057.jpg

Maple and Ash.....in the back is some Oak I let a buddy leave here till he's ready ro split it.
DSCN2058.jpg

Stuff I've been trying to split....will get it done one of these days....a little bit of everything
DSCN2059.jpg

More Maple
DSCN2060.jpg

And our Little Avalon Ranier we stuff it all into
DSCN2050.jpg

Any wood that is free is AWESOME wood to me. WTG. Now get to splitting, what you waiting for ?

Beer Belly said:
Here's some pics of what I've scrounged so far since August.....really haven't "pushed" yet....just stuff I run into.

That's some really good rounds there.

Best get it split asap and grab some more while it's out there ;-)

Just curious-what are the markings on the rounds? Some kind of designation by the forestry crews that cut them, etc...?

Badfish740 said:
Just curious-what are the markings on the rounds? Some kind of designation by the forestry crews that cut them, etc...?
Being I'm not familiar with the different species of wood, I try to mark them, along with when I got them....not sure if they are actually Cherry and Hickory, but that is what I was told when I got them.

Badfish740 said:

I'm guessing he probably marked species and when it was picked up...

Like others have stated, get this wood split/stacked...

shawneyboy said:
Any wood that is free is AWESOME wood to me. WTG. Now get to splitting, what you waiting for ?
Gotta rent a splitter.....the plan is to buy one January 1st (budget), until then, I'll keep renting....may try to swing the Maul this weekend at a couple of pieces, then I gotta learn how to stack'em correctly

Oh, by the way, I'm jealous of all your hardwoods. I'm lucky if I'm able to pick up any hardwoods, around here it's mostly pine/spruce/aspen.

I'm sorry to say, I've past up some oppurtunities on some wood due to union business, and other engagements.....I see stuff from the storm down on peoples lawns, and never get to go to the door because I know I can't touch it for at least 3 days....what makes it even worse....no brush removal needed, just place it curbside, and the town is coming to pick it up free....this is the time to strike if there ever was any....I'll drive around the nieghborhood some more tomorrow....I've got my eye out still. Hey, what is your opinion on Birch ???...I think I may be able to get some, just gotta spend some time with the saw.....which I love to do.

Birch is my hardwood here. Good wood IMO.
Nice score/s.
Keep it coming, you never have to much wood. :)

Nice work b.b.! You have some nice BTUs there. And free is the best. Got any time off for thanksgiving? I am going to be doing some splitting and stacking on Thanksgiving day and Friday. While some people are spending there day in a mall, I will be out in the fresh cool air getting some work done and loving it. The hell with Black Friday!

Gonna be doing the usual Thanksgiving feast with friends.....won't split a stick till maybe Friday afternoon (if I can rent a splitter), don't want to disturb the nieghbors till then. In picture #5, the Ash I picked up today, the guy brought me to his yard and showed me a bunch of trees in his woods that took a beating in the storm, he said as soon as the ground hardens, feel free to take whatever is snapped and leaning....looked to be about 6 trees, looked to be Oak and Maple.....c'mon Winter

Gary_602z said:
If you use UPC code and a scanner then You can keep track of your inventory in real time and know what species you are getting low on! :lol:

Gary
Do they sell them at Harbor Frieght ??

Badfish740 said:

I was wondering that myself . . . at first I thought it was some secret wood burning cultural thing . . . kinda like "4:20" . . . thought maybe "Hey 8-11" was some super secret meaning like "Burn this wood first." ;)

bogydave said:
Nice score/s.

I'm burning birch as I type, nice wood for shoulder season, and as long as it's split and stacked now, it should be ready to burn next fall ;-)

woodchip said:
bogydave said:
Nice score/s.

I'm burning birch as I type, nice wood for shoulder season, ;-)

Shoulder season wood *** It's my best stuff here :)
You burn what you got. ;)

bb i will be back at the scrounge in norwalk if ya want to come down friday i will be there around 11 shoot me a pm ill give ya the address there is so much its ridiculous

Good wood there BB. Dieselhead, good for you for the offer of helping.

Dieselhead said:
bb i will be back at the scrounge in norwalk if ya want to come down friday i will be there around 11 shoot me a pm ill give ya the address there is so much its ridiculous
Just might take ya up on the offer....depends on what the Wife has on the holiday schedule...Thanks

Just curious, for those of you in CT - if you see something in front of someones house, in front of the sidewalk next to the road are you assuming it's free for the taking or knocking on the door?

Backwoods Savage said:
would hate to see it go in the dumpster.

And TomR, would have to assume its out for the town to pickup. thats where everyone puts their trash around here. A knock couldnt hurt, heck they may have more out back they havent brought out yet. could be a good scrounge.

Dieselhead said:
Backwoods Savage said:
would hate to see it go in the dumpster.
Stop.gif

Wife sez "No more wood till ya split what ya got !!!".....so my scrounging is on hold for a while.....unless the lady around the corner calls about some Oak she has in her front yard....too close to ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.