What kind of Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Not that familar with ash, so what flavor is this one? And I hope you guys are right about this stuff feels awful light to be good wood.

Attachments

• SDC10376.jpg
    SDC10376.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 415
  • SDC10377.jpg
    SDC10377.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 417
White

nrford said:
+1. Try it, you'll like it. :cheese:
It's lighter because it's starting off drier than Oak.

+2 . . . it also could be lighter because it was dead or dying . . . I cut up a white ash from one of our ATV Club members this past Summer and noticed it was quite a bit lighter than the live white ash I've cut down . . . . mainly because it was dying. The nice thing is I've given a lot of this wood away to my buddy who helps me cut wood . . . he uses it for camp fires and his new tent woodstove.

Hit it with a MM. It's probably in the low thirties on the stump.

That's why your chain will look like it's got burnt caramel on it. Not to worry, couple minutes in "normal" MC wood, and it's clean.

All I burned the first year I had my furnace. Mostly all I've burned this year because it's in front of the three year seasoned red oak. Primo stuff, still burns forever in the BK. If it's all I could get, I'd still be happy. I haven't cut a green one in my adult life, because they're all dead around here. A lot of what I have to cut now is getting punky, so I won't be burning it much longer. Stupid bugs.

Looks like Green Ash to me. The bark kinda looks like white but the split looks more like Green Ash, been cutting and splitting both just yesterday and the green is much browner than the white.

You'll love it cpt.

Green or White it goes in the same lumber pile at the sawmill!!

Green and white ash are very similar to look at in rounds, splits, or as trees. Need to really check leaf scar/bud. One nice thing is that white ash like drier habitat and green ash like wetter habitat, so, I usually make a best guess based on where the tree was growing. Cheers!

Well they are growing on a creek that seems to be spring fed, looks like the roots washed out and they fell over the one in the picture are solid the two in the background are getting somewhat punky.

oldspark said:
Looks like Green Ash to me. The bark kinda looks like white but the split looks more like Green Ash, been cutting and splitting both just yesterday and the green is much browner than the white.
Mark me down for another miss. :lol:
Looking at it again, the bark doesn't look quite right (hard to tell from those two pics) and I've never seen White with the dark heartwood.
I've never burned any Green, but it's a bit lower on the BTU charts than White.

Status
Not open for further replies.