What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfapps

Jan 5, 2012
Ct
This is my second year with my stove so I'm still a novice, but I just split about a cord of this stuff and was wondering if anyone knew what it is? It has an orange-ish color to it.

IMG_0061.jpg

Let's see if my wood id skills are any good , could it be Cherry ?

What says the wood pros ?

Looks like Black Cherry.How's the smell? Is it kinda like cough syrup,but pleasant?

Yep looks like black cherry..:)

Another vote for black cherry. Smells good, dries fast, and burns great.

I think it's Bradford Pear....twisted grain and lighter color grain than Cherry to my eyes and we have a lot of both species round here.

I wasn't quite sold on the cherry, the bark doesn't seem "scaled" enough like our native black cherries around here. But I could not think of a valid alternative either? And the ones I'm familiar with are not "orangish", more reddish.

My tree ID book doesn't have it and the only photos I could find online over the last few minutes didn't convince me either. The photos that were there seemed lighter in color with wider splits in the bark

bark.jpg

My tree ID book doesn't have it and the only photos I could find online over the last few minutes didn't convince me either. The photos that were there seemed lighter in color with wider splits in the bark

View attachment 82460

Nah, that doesn't look like the Pear here in Eastern PA. What we have is just like the original picture, especially down in the middle of the stack. I'd be shocked if it wasn't Bradford Pear; still waiting for the other PA. guys to join in here but they must've gone to bed early lol! ;lol

Ok here are a variety of "classic" black cherry photos at various stages of growth.

black cherry.1.jpgblack cherry.2.jpg black cherry.3cherry_bk_brk2_sm.jpg black cherry.4.jpgblack cherry.5.jpg

I still am not sure. If it is, its from a very young tree that has not developed the scale appearance yet, or on a big tree, from the upper branches. The piece on the top of the pile in his photo does look redder, not orange, and the bark is beginning to approximate this.

The photo doesn't show enough to make me sure that I am seeing, but I think it looks more like Bradford Pear than Cherry. Cherry usually shows a sapwood that is lighter in color than the orange heartwood.. Pear doesn't have sapwood that is different from the heartwood, or at least not much different.

Thank for all the replies. I didn't notice any apparent smell. The cut ends have a darker orange color but the splits are lighter. I haven't came across anything with this color but I figured someone here would definitely know.

Thank for all the replies. I didn't notice any apparent smell. The cut ends have a darker orange color but the splits are lighter. I haven't came across anything with this color but I figured someone here would definitely know.

How big in diameter was the tree/trees that you cut. Is their any section of bark that looks like the "classic" cherry photos above, with the "upturned" scales of bark. If so, can you take a better photo of it for us? Thanks Tfapps! A branch tip showing the branching pattern, and young bark is also a good key identifier for many trees, as well as leaves, flowers, etc.

Nope, it is not cherry! Looks like Hard Maple or this Bradford pear that I have never seen here.

Nope, it is not cherry! Looks like Hard Maple or this Bradford pear that I have never seen here.

Funny you say maple, because I did come accross pictures in my tree ID book that looked really close to this, it was Red Maple.

Online Description of Bark:

The mature bark of Red Maple displays great variation in the wild. In terms of texture, it may be lightly fissured, platy, or shaggy, with the color of its outer plates composed of gray, silver, brown, and black shades. Its inner bark may be tinted with orange hues. Many of the landscape cultivars of Red Maple have smooth, silvery-gray trunks, but wild forms often have darker and rougher barks

red maple.1.jpg red maple.2.jpg red maple.3.jpg

Possible............ bark can be so variable, I want to see a branch tip!

Funny you say maple, because I did come accross pictures in my tree ID book that looked really close to this, it was Red Maple.

Online Description of Bark:

The mature bark of Red Maple displays great variation in the wild. In terms of texture, it may be lightly fissured, platy, or shaggy, with the color of its outer plates composed of gray, silver, brown, and black shades. Its inner bark may be tinted with orange hues. Many of the landscape cultivars of Red Maple have smooth, silvery-gray trunks, but wild forms often have darker and rougher barks

View attachment 82479 View attachment 82480 View attachment 82481

Possible............ bark can be so variable, I want to see a branch tip!

It's not soft maple for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.