What pellet am I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinculum

Sep 29, 2010
South Central PA
These were bought at a local Agway dealer for $200/ton. I was told they are Pinnacle but how can I be sure?

I figure only the gurus here might know!

Attachments

• DSC00484.jpg
    DSC00484.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 853
This could be a tough one.....Jay, where are you???? :gulp:

Vinculum said:
These were bought at a local Agway dealer for $200/ton. I was told they are Pinnacle but how can I be sure?

I figure only the gurus here might know!

Westwood Fibre Products Kelowna, BC....I don't think the are Pinnacle, they are in a different location.......I'm not 100% sure, though.....

Kelowna is very very close to Okanagan valley. :) We might need to ask our Buddy BTU if there Okies. Might also be Eagle Valley, or Dragon Mountains. They could be Pinnacle too as Dragon Mountain were Pinnacle if I remember correctly!

But I don't think it matters, These brands are so close you all most cannot tell them apart. There a BC softwood pellet and I bet they ROCK!

There is such a company as "Premium Wood Pellets". I looked them up when I was deciding what to buy this year. They are in BC. I can't read the bottom edge of the bag to see if this is the town that company is in.

coffeeman1986 said:
were these bought at the agway in red lion?

Correct! I'm a little over half way through my first ton. I had a couple bags with some clumps in, that look like expanded or malformed pellets. Nothing major, I just separate them out as they crumble into powder easy. I've also been sifting the bottom couple scoops in the bag, as they appear a little dusty.

You guys are probably correct in that it doesn't really matter. They seem to burn great, but I have no real experience as this is my first season with pellets. (former cord wood burner)
My next ton to burn will be Energex American hardwood pellets. I got these for free when I bought my Quad CB1200i as a part of some promotion. Then after that I have 2 more tons of these BC softwood pellets. I must say I really enjoy the pellet stove experience more than burning cord wood. Its very consistent and clean burning. Love the automatic ignition and thermostat control! AND I'll take fly ash any day over the creosote created by the wood stove!

Thanks for your comments everyone. This forum is great!

Well the season's over for me. I burned 3 tons total. 2 of them were these Pinnacle softwood pellets and the other was my "free" ton with purchase of pellet stove, Energex hardwoods. After trying each I must report that the Pinnacle softwood's were the better pellet. They gave me much less ash to cleanup and seemed to burn hot. Next season I'll get more of the softwood pellets (as long as the price doesn't go up).

The pellet stove performed great. I'm definitely glad I switched from cord wood to pellets!

Next mission will be to do a complete cleanup, remove all unburnt pellets, plug the flue pipe and sit a moisture desiccant inside.

The CB1200 is a fantastic stove. Wether it is the insert or freestanding. Treat it right and keep it "Fed". LOL. She will last for years. After 3 yrs I am going to change the ignitor and door gasket. Gasket is about shot on side that it latches on. The ignitor still works 95% of the time, but I had 4 times this season that I didnt get ignition. Thanks for the update.

Looks like a bag that was sold to me as
Energex softwood and was full of sawdust.

DexterDay,

The salesman whio sold me on it said it was a real workhorse. I was wondering about ignitor life. I'll keep an eye on mine, thanx.

mascoma,

sorry to hear you had a bum bag. As you can see on my picture, my bag is clearly Canadian. Energex is a USA company. I didn't find any discernable differences in the amount of fines between the two. I've noticed the fines do build up in the auger area and I need to completely empty and vac out that area a few times during the season. Next season I'll build a fine sifter to pre-screen the pellets. Really no complaints. But I do like those pellets pictured better than the hardwood Energex.

I got an email from Mr. Warm, Here is what he said!

When we first bought the mill back in March 2010, we inherited about 3000 tons of these pellets that were bagged in clear generic bags. We felt it wasn’t right to sell them for the same price as our Okies, so we mostly sold them off to farm supply/race tracks/smaller dealers, but we did have one dealer in Spokane that loaded up on them and thought pretty much most of it stayed on the West Coast…..

So there basically Okies in a clear bag! :)

Sounds good! I hope I can get more for next season.

Who is Mr. Warm? Who's mill was bought/sold?

Vinculum said:
Sounds good! I hope I can get more for next season.

Who is Mr. Warm? Who's mill was bought/sold?

I will let the other "guess who" Mr. Warm is? The mill was westwood which is now owned by Viridis Energy. Viridis Energy bought them in March of 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.