What Pellet Stove to buy HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerking

Sep 11, 2009
North US
I am new at this site and I am looking into some pellet stoves and I am excited to see a new line called Ecoteck Pellet stoves we have looked at most brands out there and I think for the quality and looks this one will fit me perfect has anyone had one before and what can you tell me good or bad.
They look very high quality and the heat output seems much more than most the one we are looking at getting is called Elena Airplus, the airplus can duct into more than one room,I seen them at the UP state fair they had a show trailer with 8 burning stoves there
Any remarks will help Thanks
If you want to see the pellet stove that I am looking at the web is www.ecoteck.us

Deerking, welcome to the forum....lots of nice people here, and a ton of info and opinions too.

As for the Ecoteck stoves, they have been mentioned on the forum a couple of times by people that were "involved" in selling them, so I don't take their word as unbiased, but their nice looking stoves. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone on the forum has actually bought one.

Seeing that you are a newcomer(?) to burning pellets, I think my advice to you would be to buy one of the more commonly known stoves, such as Harman, Avalon, Lopi, Englander, Quadrafire, Enviro, St. Croix, etc, etc. The main reason being that just in case you run into any problems, you will be able to get a lot of help on this forum. There even some factory reps, and stove shop owners that contribute on here.

What other brands of stoves are available in your area?

kinda vague question... many questions need to be answered to answer yours. What's your budget? How many SF are you heating? Where is it going, basement, living space, other? etc...

oh yea, Welcome!

macman said:
Deerking, welcome to the forum....lots of nice people here, and a ton of info and opinions too.

As for the Ecoteck stoves, they have been mentioned on the forum a couple of times by people that were "involved" in selling them, so I don't take their word as unbiased, but their nice looking stoves. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone on the forum has actually bought one.

Seeing that you are a newcomer(?) to burning pellets, I think my advice to you would be to buy one of the more commonly known stoves, such as Harman, Avalon, Lopi, Englander, Quadrafire, Enviro, St. Croix, etc, etc. The main reason being that just in case you run into any problems, you will be able to get a lot of help on this forum. There even some factory reps, and stove shop owners that contribute on here.

What other brands of stoves are available in your area?

I agree with you macman....heard very little about ecoteck stoves. My advice as will is to stick with a well known brand. I am very please with my Harman, but there is plenty of other brands with a proven track record. I would check with a few dealers, and read through some of the advice in this forum. I think macman has named the 6 brands that are worth considering.

There are a few other stoves in my area and I have seen the ones that you guys mentioned. My wife is likes the looks of the Ecoteck stoves the best they are more than just a iron box look.
The dealer said he has sold 30 of them from last December to now and no problems so far I don't no what to think.
They seem to be clean burning and they have been made for a long time in Italy he said.
How much do you listen to your dealer trying to sell you a product,but he has other pellet stoves also in his shop he has Kozy heat,Harman they both look like good stove also.

I feel generally you can trust a well recommend dealer for the most part. Most dealers would like their customers to be happy with the product they purchase. I know in my business their is nothing more painful then an upset customer. Although this is true for most dealers it is a competitive market and some dealers are looking to sell product. So make sure you get some advice on the dealer as well as the stove. I my experience and also from reading the posts on this forum most stoves do what they are supposed to do which is pump out heat, and most people are satisfied with that. Some stoves are easier to clean, quiet when operating (especially the convection blower) and are less fussy about the pellets used. Others tout gadgets that are suppose to make cleaning easier but do not. In the end it comes down to your heating needs, how comfortable you are with your dealer and so on. My one reservation with the ecoteck is that the dealer network is much smaller then the more mainstream brands. So if something happens to the dealer near you that sells the ecoteck, you might not have any local help if a problem arises.

My home is only two years old but I have alot of windows it is 36' x 50' A frame 26' celling in the living room and dinning room 8' in the rest of the house,
I feel good about buying a stove from my dealer he seems to be smart about pellet stoves that is the reason for thinking about Ecoteck I guess my wife has something to do with it also.

I think if you feel the stove will do the job and you are comfortable with the dealer then you will make the right choice. At the end of the day most pellet stoves do a good job, but remember a stove is only as good as the pellets you put in it. So do yourself a favor and for a matter of $10-$20 a ton, purchase the best pellets you can find. You won't be disappointed. Make sure to have the dealer show you the the difference in cleaning steps between the models you are looking at. And remember happy wife happy life!!!

Sure are pretty stoves. If you do decide to get one please keep us informed on how you like it.

thanks

Nice looking stove for a very modern home. I would be asking questions about where to get replacement parts. It does not appear that you could buy replacement parts direct from the manufacturer. Lots of companies do this in order to shield themselves from the consumer. Where do the parts come from and where are they stocked? Are you stuck waiting for a oversea shipment? What happens if an igniter goes bad and how much do they cost? The upfront cost for the stove may work for you whereas the repair costs may not. Now is the time to do your homework and get your dealer to commit to what he will do in case of a breakdown. Look at the stove warranty. If the dealer says he will help/repair a broken stove that is contrary to the warranty get it in writing.

Bkins

blanc12 I will Let everyone no how it works if I get the Ecoteck my wife is wanting to get the Ecoteck bad so I expect that is what is going to happen,
If the quality runs into the rest of the stove like the finish I think I will be alright.

Deerking said:
......My wife is likes the looks of the Ecoteck stoves the best they are more than just a iron box look.
The dealer said he has sold 30 of them from last December to now and no problems so far I don't no what to think.
.........but he has other pellet stoves also in his shop he has Kozy heat,Harman they both look like good stove also.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but if he's a good dealer, he'll give you the names of people who've bought one of those stoves so you can contact them and ask questions. And tell your wife that good looks only go so far, especially if your sitting on the coldest night of the winter and your stove is dead and the dealer is closed or "busy" and can't come service it.

Just remember the car dealers.....they are ALWAYS nice and helpful right up until the time you give them the check and drive away.....

Just my 2 cents....

macman said:
Just remember the car dealers.....they are ALWAYS nice and helpful right up until the time you give them the check and drive away.....

Just my 2 cents....

Easy now.....

Bkins Them are good questions to ask my brother inlaw has a pellet stove and that is what he told me to ask so I did they have a distributor in Minnesota that takes care of North America I got there number off Ecoteck.us so I called them and they said they stock all parts and take care of all warranty.

amick780 said:
macman said:

Just my 2 cents....

Easy now.....

Oh amick, don't tell me........ :roll:

Deerking said:
I am new at this site and I am looking into some pellet stoves and I am excited to see a new line called Ecoteck Pellet stoves we have looked at most brands out there and I think for the quality and looks this one will fit me perfect has anyone had one before and what can you tell me good or bad.
They look very high quality and the heat output seems much more than most the one we are looking at getting is called Elena Airplus, the airplus can duct into more than one room,I seen them at the UP state fair they had a show trailer with 8 burning stoves there
Any remarks will help Thanks
If you want to see the pellet stove that I am looking at the web is www.ecoteck.us

Well, there, by golly, lemmee tellya, when I was looking to buy a pellet furnace, everybody told me it wouldn't work. But if I was gonna get one, it had to be a Harman, 'cause it wouldn't work the best. But anyway, my wife liked the St. Croix, so that's what I got, it works great, and she's happy. That there is one pretty stove, and if ya like it, git it. This ain't rocket science, if it takes some tinkering, so be it. Hopefully you have a supportive dealer, and won't even need him. All these brands were new at one point, look at yurself as a pioneer, coonskin hat and all that. So, take what ya will from that, and best of luck to ya.

It sounds like your wife has your minds made up. :) JK. I personally would be very hesitant. Dealers can drop product lines, go out of business, stop servicing if an employee moves on . . etc. . . If you can't get a part or service, it wont matter what it looks like. They are machines, they will all break down eventually. Read the warranty, I think it's common that manufacturers can request the stove be sent to them for servicing a major repair. The shipping costs are on you if they determine the issue is not covered. Imagine yourself trying to call their customer support number. Or better yet, call it, english option?
Do your homework and make sure you feel good about it.
Mike -

I think the stove is nice looking, ultra modern, but the web page is funny. Wonder if they clean the stove wearing white?

So the company was founded 10 years ago, yet there's incredibly limited information out there on people who own these stoves. Makes me wonder about them.

Either they are completely problem free; or they simply aren't desirable for one reason or another. Perhaps the only people that purchase them have more then enough money to deal with any problems that show up; and aren't about to find a forum and write a review/groan about the situation.

I too question what a dealer would tell me on a big ticket item like a pellet stove. If anything I'd wait to hear multiple dealers tell me the same thing about the same stove (and having other stoves in their show room) before I went ahead on purchasing a stove I couldn't find much information on.

I guess since i am listed as one of those biased evil dealers that put alot of there time in this site, take what i say with a grain of salt. Ecotech is going to be hard to find information on, they have not been in the US long enough for them to hit the market in any real numbers. I was about to buy one this year, the wife really liked the looks. the pocket book liked the XXV. We have a ecoteck burn display in our showroom. There gorgeous and quite. The air plus system works great.

looks like the pellet stove for the future.....maybe 2050, or something the jetsons would have....one of the beauties of a pellet stove is the look they have, but we all have different tastes....good luck with it if you decide to go with it.

I did not think there would be this much information on this site and people with pellet stoves,We went back to the store and my dealer had more stoves run so I could see the heat output on more than just 2 or 3 stoves I will tell you I was impressed with the heat that the Ecoteck put out.
I like the looks of the stove so I did take one home It will be installed today and I will post some pics if I can figure out how to do it.The stove I got was the Elena Airplus the color is red I will let you all no thanks for the information.

Deerking said:
I did not think there would be this much information on this site and people with pellet stoves,We went back to the store and my dealer had more stoves run so I could see the heat output on more than just 2 or 3 stoves I will tell you I was impressed with the heat that the Ecoteck put out.
I like the looks of the stove so I did take one home It will be installed today and I will post some pics if I can figure out how to do it.The stove I got was the Elena Airplus the color is red I will let you all no thanks for the information.

Yep, pics are mandatory, or it really didn't happen... I'm sure we'll all be interested in how you like it after a winter of burning.

Good luck w/ the new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.