What pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach23

Dec 8, 2011
Upstate NY
I am driving myself crazy (along with my wife) trying to decide what pellets to buy. I just installed my stove about a month ago. I first bought a ton of instant heat from tractor supply because i needed some fast and they were there. I have since tried a few bags of different brands but still am not sure which ones are best. I have the option in my area of getting-
Hardwood heat from tractor supply- 215 a ton
Lignetics from tractor supply- 215 a ton
Logik-E- 250 per ton
Curran softwood- 250 per ton
Any suggestions..? I need something that really makes some heat. Forcast is lower teens for a while here during the day and around 0 or a bit below at night......... Thanks

Hello, I'd go with the TSC Hardwood Heat pellets, they're rebagged Hamer's Hot Ones and they're good. If you use the search function at the top of the page and type Hamer's Hot Ones or Hardwood Heat, you'll see there's been a lot of discussion about both pellets. I burned a ton of Hamer's Hot Ones last year and was really happy with them, they are the one of the best pellets I've used. clean with very low ash with plenty of heat!
They burned hot ( 245-260 degrees ) from the blower output of my England 25 PDVC. Each stove seems to burn different pellets with varying results, so everyone on the forum usually recommends buying a few bags of each and trying them out. Good luck and Happy New Year!----L.

TSC's, Hardwood Heat, HANDS DOWN!!

Do not buy a large quantity of any pellet without testing them, every stove is different. In my case, my local TSC just got in the Hardwood Heat pellets mentioned above for the first time. After reading all the reviews here, I bought a couple of bags to try, and when they burned pretty well I went ahead and got a ton. Today is the first really cold day (<30 degrees all day, in the teens overnight) I've burned them, and while they did OK for me on the warmer days earlier in the week they're having trouble keeping up today, even cranking at full bore. They're still OK, I'll be saving them for spring and warmer days in between, but will be going back to the unfortunately higher price spread for the upcoming 8 weeks of real cold. And these are pellets that have virtually no bad reviews. Check for yourself in your own application is the rule.

i have to agree with about the Hardwood heats, i bought 15 bags
at my local TSC because of the good reviews they have here.

not nearly what i was hoping for, not any hotter then the
Stove chow i was getting at HD

its gonna be Barefoots for me during this cold snap

i did actually try some hardwood heat a week ago and was NOT impressed. My dad burns the hardwood heat and has great results and we have the same stove. I am currently in my 3rd bad of curran softies. I seem to like these the best so far but still have the old "dont burn softwood" in my head. I realize that they are pellets and not cordwood but still hard to get over..lol Is it fine to burn only softwood all the time without mixing.?

Status
Not open for further replies.