What percent of my oil is going to my DHW?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TKT

Nov 18, 2012
Brunswick Maine
I am planning on junking my slant fin cold start boiler for a kedel wood pellet boiler. I am try to figure out if a heat pump DHW tank is worth the extra money or if i should go with an Indirect tank off the wood pellet boiler. Knowing how much oil I was using for DHW would help me decide

I tracked mine for just DHW. I have a 41 gallon indirect Boilermate setup. I was burning .5 gallon/day just to make hot water for 2 showers and 1 dishwasher every 3rd day. Once I learned that, I plumbed in an electric heater the next weekend.

ac

The best of both worlds is an electric with a sidearm so it's an indirect in the heating season, and strictly an electric water heater in the summer. If your heating season is really short, then a heat pump would be cheaper to operate, but more $$$$ up front. I'm installing this setup electric/sidearm replacing a Bock oil water heaterthis week, I can take some pictures. An alternitive to the sidearm, is if there is a domestic coil option in the boiler, plumb that into the electric tank with bronze circulator. Basically an indirect with an external heat exchanger. My $.02

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.