What size pex tubing ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunderliggur said:
Here in Anne Arundel County Maryland we have to go down 30 inches. In the county to the south (Calvert) it is 18 inches. It doesn't matter that my back property line is the county line and the frost line magicaly jumps 12 inches 200 feet south of my house!

About the barbed fittings on PEX. It has been running for 3 weeks with no leaks whatsoever. I pressure tested cold at 60 psi. System runs hot at 20 psi. I ordered the fittings from plumbingsupply.com Brass Barbed Male Adapter 1 1/4"x1 1/4"mips $18.67 each. The barbed fittings were recommended by AHONA and they have a lot of successful installs. I second the opinion on PEXSUPPLY. I have used them, they have great prices. Service and shipping is normally great. HOWEVER - I ordered my fittings for the boiler install in November. Their price was about 1/2 the local supply for 1 1/4 copper fittings. Many of the items were "backordered", including a Taco 0011. I eventually cancelled the balance of my order and got the parts locally. If you call and verify stock and shipping I thing you are OK.

Got the barbed 1-1/4 fittings today for $8.00 a piece. phoned pex supply and she said the hepex tubing was on the freight train.
I think I seen pics. of your tubing install, you spray foamed them .
Is there a special foam for in ground applications

Huff

huffdawg said:
Hunderliggur said:
Here in Anne Arundel County Maryland we have to go down 30 inches. In the county to the south (Calvert) it is 18 inches. It doesn't matter that my back property line is the county line and the frost line magicaly jumps 12 inches 200 feet south of my house!

About the barbed fittings on PEX. It has been running for 3 weeks with no leaks whatsoever. I pressure tested cold at 60 psi. System runs hot at 20 psi. I ordered the fittings from plumbingsupply.com Brass Barbed Male Adapter 1 1/4"x1 1/4"mips $18.67 each. The barbed fittings were recommended by AHONA and they have a lot of successful installs. I second the opinion on PEXSUPPLY. I have used them, they have great prices. Service and shipping is normally great. HOWEVER - I ordered my fittings for the boiler install in November. Their price was about 1/2 the local supply for 1 1/4 copper fittings. Many of the items were "backordered", including a Taco 0011. I eventually cancelled the balance of my order and got the parts locally. If you call and verify stock and shipping I thing you are OK.

Got the barbed 1-1/4 fittings today for $8.00 a piece. phoned pex supply and she said the hepex tubing was on the freight train.
I think I seen pics. of your tubing install, you spray foamed them .
Is there a special foam for in ground applications

Huff

I believe you need to get a closed cell type foam, of the right sort - I think it was Poly-iso, but I'm not sure... Do a search for posts on the subject by "In Hot Water" I know he has posted on it several times, and is one of our best experts on doing foam pipe jobs.

As I recall, the technique was to attach the lines centered on opposite sides of a 2" thick slab of waterproof foam (the same stuff you use under slabs) that was cut to 8 or 12" wide. This separated the lines to prevent heat transfer between them, and kept them off the floor of the trench - the foam guy would then cover the bundle w/ spray, which would cure in a few minutes, and once cured you filled in the trench - however I may be off on the details, so do the search... (I ought to track down a good How To thread on it and add it to the "tidbits" sticky)

Gooserider

Hunderliggur said:
I used 1 1/4 PEX with brass barbed fittings to connect PEX to copper. I needed a heat gun to soften the PEX to insert the fittings, then double stainless steel clamps on each fitting. You probably can use 1 1/4 pex with shipping and the brass fittings for less than double 1" PEX.

Was the pex you used hePex ,just picked up my 1-1/4 hePex and bought the barbed brass fittings locally . I guess you must have to heat the pex up pretty good it looks like a very tight fit.
Huff.

I used a hair dryer on one end and it took a while. I borrowed a heat gun for the other end and it went much quicker.

Hunderliggur said:
I used a hair dryer on one end and it took a while. I borrowed a heat gun for the other end and it went much quicker.

Im just trying a heat gun to heat the tubing it seems to be discolouring the white pex ,you must have to get it quite hot to get the 1-1/4 barbed fitting inside it.
The pex is going clear and I couldnt manipulate the fitting into it ,must not be hot enough?

With uponor ( wirsbo) that is the reccomended repair for a kink. Heat gun till clear, then let it cool - back to original form. Uponor is pex A.

Sorry if I missed it but which tool are you using to secure your 1-1/4" pex to the barbed fittings? Please provide the make, model and where the hell you found it. Thanks!

I used double stainless steel clamps to secure 1 1/4 pex to the barbed fittings - just like a well pump install. If it is good enough for a well pump hanging on 200 feet of poly pipe at 60 PSI, it is good enough for PEX to Barbed at 15 psi.

Just got my 1-1/4 pex sprayed with closed cell foam insulation. It wasn't too pricey $250.00 for 40' with 4" encapsulation. He said it would be less to spray one 500 gallon propane tank 2" thick.

Huff.

Status
Not open for further replies.