What size splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
I am currently splitting a maple into smaller pieces, All of the rounds are between 18" and 22" in length. Some are 10" in diameter, and others are 24" to 32" in diameter. My stove is a Jotul Rockland 550. What sizes to do recommend for later burning? That is, I can cut (say) the 10 inchers into two halves. Should I quarter them? On the large pieces, I clearly have numerous options. I am using a Fiskar's super splitter, so I can split them to any size I want. What do you recommend?

I'd probably quarter a 10" to 12" round. Large than that would depend on the round. A variety of split sizes is always nice to have for starting, filling in the gaps, main fire wood, etc.

This is next year's wood, right?

bboulier said:
I am currently splitting a maple into smaller pieces, All of the rounds are between 18" and 22" in length. Some are 10" in diameter, and others are 24" to 32" in diameter. My stove is a Jotul Rockland 550. What sizes to do recommend for later burning? That is, I can cut (say) the 10 inchers into two halves. Should I quarter them? On the large pieces, I clearly have numerous options. I am using a Fiskar's super splitter, so I can split them to any size I want. What do you recommend?

Hi bboulier, I have the same stove. Alot depends on how soon you need the wood. Nice thing about maple is that it seasons quickly. If you need the wood sooner then split it smaller. However, now that I am far ahead I tend to split larger and sometimes not at all. I find you get longer burn times with whole rounds, sometimes even a 10 inch round works great. You are cutting the rounds the right size, I shoot for 20 inches as the Rockland can handle up to 23. I rake all the coals forward, especially at night, then put a big round or log it the back. Then put smaller splits in the front and on top. Works even better if you have Oak or Locust (have not tried Hickory or Beech yet but I am sure they are great). What happens is the log in the back catches very slowly and gives a nice long burn time. I put a large Oak split in last night at around 10 and at 9 this morning I still had the fan going and a large bed of coals.

IF you have a year to season it (2+ years for oak), I'd recommend splitting it only small enough to fit into your stove's opening. For some wrong reason, I usually split it too small and need bigger stuff for longer burns. If you end up with too many large splits when winter comes, ya can always always make it smaller. But you can't make larger splits if it's already too small.

bboulier said:

I split as big as will fit in my stove. If I need a smaller pieces at a given time it's one swing of the Fiskars away.

I start off splitting in small pieces and let the pieces get larger as I tire out. It all works out in the end.

Matt

Yes, this wood is for next year. As always, the advice one gets on this forum is very helpful. Best wishes to you all for Thanksgiving!

I agree that it is nice to have some large splits and then various sizes. I like to put in one or two large splits for overnight and even better is a decent sized round in the bottom rear of the stove.

Various sizes are nice to have. My rule of thumb is the split can be no bigger than what my wife can pick up with one hand.

Reactions: pernox and Wickets
I shoot for 8x8s out of the bigger rounds. The process produces more than enough small splits.

I highly recommend Northern Tool's Firewood Sawhorse for cutting wood to length, whatever the length you choose to cut with your chainsaw. Have used it for several years. Easy to set up, very sturdy, and very safe.