What size to split hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I recently got a fairly large amount of hemlock. I'm not questioning if I can burn it but how. For all the pine burners out there how big do you split it. If it burns so hot how do you load the stove up and prepare for an overnight burn? I don't want to resplit it but I want to burn it like it's all I have. Right now I'm splitting it big. Should I continue this way?

Charlie

I keep my splits rather large. 8 inch wide, 4 or so inches to the tip, when in pie shape. for larger rounds, I like to slit the edges of so you are left with a square, 8x8 or so. this year I did not lots of large diameter stuff like before.

Pineburner said:
I keep my splits rather large. 8 inch wide, 4 or so inches to the tip, when in pie shape. for larger rounds, I like to slit the edges of so you are left with a square, 8x8 or so. this year I did not lots of large diameter stuff like before.

Thanks,

I've read: a-lot if small split = hot and fast. Also pine,fir etc. burn hot. So I was wondering how to load the stove as to not overfire it.
This year I have some good'ole pine to try for the first time that is spit on the smaller side with bigger ones mixed in to really try all sizes. I didn't want to have any problems.

With my work schedule, I'm home a-lot during the week. I thought it would be in my benefit to take some of this evil wood for daytime burns. This will really decrease my need for hard stuff just for the night or when we go out for the day.

Charlie

Charlie, you have the right idea. If you split them small you will get a hotter fire. Big splits are the answer if you have time to season them.

Backwoods Savage said:
Charlie, you have the right idea. If you split them small you will get a hotter fire. Big splits are the answer if you have time to season them.

Awesome!! 2013 will be the year of the Conifers!! By then I will have finished my voodoo training in case some bad spirits are released from this Evil wood, lol....

All conifers are pretty heavy with water when green, but most of that water is free water, not fiber-bound moisture, and it loses that pretty quickly. I'd go with the biggest splits that would fit in my stove if it was mine. Not just slower burns, but more controlled and less smoke given off since the ratio of surface area to volume is lower with bigger pieces. Of course I feel that way about hardwoods as well. As big as will dry in time and still fit into the stove.

Battenkiller said:
,. I'd go with the biggest splits that would fit in my stove if it was mine. Not just slower burns, but more controlled and less smoke given off since the ratio of surface area to volume is lower with bigger pieces. Of course I feel that way about hardwoods as well. As big as will dry in time and still fit into the stove.
What does that mean in the scheme of things, secondaries work better with the bigger splitts?

oldspark said:
What does that mean in the scheme of things, secondaries work better with the bigger splitts?

My feeling is that every stage of combustion should be as clean as possible. No use deliberately creating more smoke and relying on the secondaries or cat to take care of it. Secondaries aren't 100% efficient, why feed more smoke to them than you have to? Just my thinking is all.

I've had good luck with medium/large pine splits. I haven't had an issue where the stove runs away and the temp starts to spike. When you first burn it, toss in a good load of hemlock and watch the stove. I have a feeling you'll be able to back the air down and things will settle to temp nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.