what temp does the outside of class a chimney get under "normal operating conditions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
What temp should I expect the outside of class a chimney to get say 2' - 6' after the stove? (Assuming the stove rear vents and the chimney goes through the wall and up.) Thanks!

well my horizontal section of class A that goes through the wall gets hot enough you can't touch it for more than a second. Everything else after that section is barely warm.

I don't know that answer, however, here is what I do know. My chimney (simpson duratech class a) is straight through the middle of the house. About 7-8' above the stove it is far too hot to touch. The wall behind stays quite cool. I have since enclosed it so nothing can fall against it.

This would seem to be in the area of 300 °F , although it could probably get hotter. The key, of course, is the temp 2" away from it, which can only hit about 170......
On a direct rear exit such as that, it might even hit 400 - still, that is about 1/3 the temp of what a cherry red single wall pipe could possibly hit, and is well below the temp at which wood and most other materials combust.

Thank you everyone, your answers are helpful. In light of the temperatures, approx. less than 200 degrees, could you recommend a paint for the chimney? (We'd prefer building a chase, but a painted chimney that blends with the house colors is second best.)

Stainless can be difficult to paint because the smoothness of it.........there are actually some paints formulated just for it, but only in black to my knowledge.

Other than that, my advice is to let it weather for at least a couple months and maybe longer and then use a decent exterior metal paint like Rustoleum on it. Some of their formulations are shown on tractor engines, etc. which should be good to higher temps.

If you want to go the next step up in temp, use so-called BBQ paint, a selection is available online and at some hardware stores and home centers. Some paints are also formulated for gas vent, which again should meet the temp requirements.

Here is an example of high temp terra-cotta color:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-...ish/1200-deg-Terra-Cotta-Stove-Paint-Spray-On
Here is roof and flashing paint:
http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-43341.html

Webmaster said:
It wouldn't be a bad idea to email or call the chimney manufacturer with this same question - just to see what they suggest.

Thanks. That's a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.