what thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonhunter

Burning Hunk
Apr 16, 2012
newbrunswick canada
Im new to wood burning and im trying to find a thermomerter that will work with a wood insert. Im thinking the magnetic ones wont wor so good because there isnt really anywhere to stick it too on my insert. Are the cheap Infrared thermometers any good? or is there a better option?

I use a clip on candy thermometer on my century insert--it measures the air rather than the stovetop temp, but I've found it to be a good indicator of how hot I'm burning. Too much variation on the stove front, and it's tough to accurately measure the top.

The cheap infrared ones work great. You can also use them for more than checking the stove temperature. Great for finding leaks in the house too.

I have an insert and bot a Condar Inferno stove top meter. I placed it above the door since it registered the hottest temp there vs the top. By the time it reads 650 to 700 i have just about closed my air completely if not completely I like it since i'm relatively new also (Jan 2010) and it keeps me consistent. Here is a link but you may want to check out Ebay http://www.condar.com/stove_top_meters.html

BTW, it is 2 1/2" in diameter

I've found that my stove front temps vary wildly, whereas the exhaust temp (clipping the thermo at the blower exhaust) gives a much better all indication of the average temp of the stove.

I have a Condar magnetic on the stove top and a cheap harbor frieght laser temp gun. Im going to post pics real soon to show how each one measures the stove top temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.