What to do about foam/adhesives on your hands?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I spent the holiday weekend pulling 11 temporary placed windows out, then felting/XPSing/Wrapping and reinstalling the windows. Gloves make me crazy when working with the super stick protecto wrap and spray foam. But, I don't like dipping my hands in mineral spirits either. What do you guys do? Suck it up with the mineral spirits, wear gloves or am I missing something?

SolarAndWood said:
I spent the holiday weekend pulling 11 temporary placed windows out, then felting/XPSing/Wrapping and reinstalling the windows. Gloves make me crazy when working with the super stick protecto wrap and spray foam. But, I don't like dipping my hands in mineral spirits either. What do you guys do? Suck it up with the mineral spirits, wear gloves or am I missing something?

I wear latex or nitrile gloves when working with spray foam. The latter seem tougher. I can't wear those gloves when working with the protecto wrap though as it will grab the gloves and pull them apart. I wear standard leather work gloves or no gloves when working with the wrap.

I think you can get foam (and just about anything else) off your fingers with acetone. Most nail polish removers are acetone-based so you can try that if its available.

Fast and gentle nail polish remover helped didn't do a whole lot, will have to pick up some slow and rough tomorrow. I'll try the latex gloves with the spray foam with the next batch of windows as I think that is most of the problem. The Protecto wrap wasn't too bad once I figured out how to work with it.

Oh yeah, the warning on the foam can that you should wear safety glasses is a good one. I've heard that stuff can do a number on your eyes and as you've probably found out it gets pretty messy, at least it does when I'm using it.

Once that stuff sets up really well on your hands it does not come off except with mechanical removal. I think the can actually says that too. I am nost a sissy about chemicals so actually use carburetor cleaner if I can do it really soon after exposure to try and get most of it off. Once it gets brown by drying and dirt sticking to it, I've had that stuff on my hands for days. I have T-shirts years later that still have it on them. Looks like bird poop.

It'll come off in a few days with the normal oily secretions from your hands. Get what you can off gently, no need burning your skin with harsh chemicals. I'm a teacher and taught for three days with yellow stuff on my hands. Just told my kids it was foamy chalk residue.

S

I just let it wear off. After a couple days I'll use a utility knife and carve most of it off.

I've heard said that an ice cube will do wonders. It makes the stuff harder so it peels off easier.

for doing replacement windows they now make a wtaer based foam. It is great will not over fill your new windows and what ever comes out cleans up with water. I got it t menards

I used to use acetone when i was done working with that stuff, worked great. Upon reflection, gloves would have been better than a soak in nasty chemicals.

After using it a bit I got a lot better at getting it only where it needs to be.
I tried disposable gloves and they do help, but I also found the stuff pretty much wears off after several days.

Most fun was a can that decidied not to stop dispensing.
It was stuck to a rock in the back yard for several months.

I try to use mineral spirits or similar fluid . . . barring that I walk around for the next three or four days looking like I have a bad case of leprosy until it eventually wears off.

I use nitrile gloves. They will get a hole somewhere & I won't notice so I still get some on my hands. The ice only works for me if it's a thicker layer. A little smear still won't peel off & the best thing I've tried is the wifes emory (sp?) board for nail filing (shhh!) or medium grit sandpaper. Otherwise I'm wearing it for a few days.
Never tried WD40.
The Dap-Tex window foam is much easier to work with (low-expanding, works upright, rinse the nozzle & it's useable later, washes off skin), but I've had some cans that were duds & a can won't cover nearly as much as the GreatStuff.

That stuff is directly from Hell! It is the devil incarnate! Honestly, it should be used in place of water boarding! I had a can of that leak in a tool box once, a pretty much full can at that. I hate it, it is evil at it's finest. OK, I'm done, nothing to see here.

Try not to get a blob in your hair.

i too have both hands covered. the only thing that worked for me was those black sanding blocks that the painters use. it wasn't as bad as it sounds. no pain at all and i had the softest hands i"ve had in 30 years.

The only thing that i have found to remove it is sandpaper.... or time....

nothing else, its indestructible!

I have tried, to no success:
acetone, paint thinner, gas, soap, water, alcahol.

If it was that "good stuff" foam insulation in a can, - nothing takes it off, but time. It will wear off eventually. Until then, your hands will look stained.

Liberal application of aresol brake- cleaner. It'll get slimy, so wipe off what you can with paper towels and repeat. Then GOJO in warm water. You'll get off almost all of it , except for the stuff stuck in your fingernails.

Beetle-Kill said:
Liberal application of aresol brake- cleaner. It'll get slimy, so wipe off what you can with paper towels and repeat. Then GOJO in warm water. You'll get off almost all of it , except for the stuff stuck in your fingernails.

You are the man. Brake cleaner was a little rough on dry skin and took a little scotch brite action as well, but definitely did the trick. Thanks much.

I don't know about adhesives/foam, but I've learned that a hearty glob of handlotion rubbed in completely then wash hands with soap and water will removed pine pitch like nothing else I've tried. It's truly amazing since it doesn't involve anything adverse to your health. I would certainly try it on other adhesives.

SolarAndWood said:
Beetle-Kill said:

You are the man. Brake cleaner was a little rough on dry skin and took a little scotch brite action as well, but definitely did the trick. Thanks much.

I suggested acetone earlier. One of the main active ingredients of brake cleaner is acetone. Acetone will cut through just about anything. I keep a can in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.