What to do with a "needs work" VC Encore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slindo

Mar 14, 2008
Maine
Just opened my 0028 Encore, which I (with grave reservations) rebuild 4 years ago, to clean the cat, and found it trashed inside with the cat so badly pretzeled I cannot get it out without destroying what is left of the refractory. That was the second time I had rebuilt it and it seems each rebuild lasts less time than the last, each time we get more careful and fanatical about operating it correctly -when it was new we would toss in unseasoned wood, wet wood, and wood with chunks of ice on it, and the refractory still lasted 12 years. So I can only conclude that the quality of the parts is getting worse (why doesn't someone in the aftermarket come out with a proper cast refractory box?) and no amount of care will make a rebuild last if the stove is used full time for serious heating, so there is no point in trying to squeeze a few more years out of it.

Anyhow, this is it for us, goodbye Vermont Castings. Question is, it is still a gorgeous stove, with good porcelein. What do I do with the damn thing? Too pretty to take to the dump, but can I in good conscience sell it knowing what I know about it?

I can't be the only one with this problem, must be a hell of a lot of them around with fetching exteriors and rotten guts.

Inspect the cat every year and get a cat prob. You seem to be beating the hell out of your cat by getting the cat too hot.

Maybe I don't have enough scruples, but the fact is . . . here in Maine . . . even as it is . . . there are folks that would pay good coin for a Vermont Castings based solely on the name and the stove's rep from the 1980s. If you priced it well and were right up front about what it needs to be up and running properly I would sell the beast and use the money to go towards a new stove with no hesitation . . . the key being up front to prospective buyers about what it needs to run right.

Reactions: mfglickman
Maybe I don't have enough scruples, but the fact is . . . here in Maine . . . even as it is . . . there are folks that would pay good coin for a Vermont Castings based solely on the name and the stove's rep from the 1980s. If you priced it well and were right up front about what it needs to be up and running properly I would sell the beast and use the money to go towards a new stove with no hesitation . . . the key being up front to prospective buyers about what it needs to run right.
I got a Defiant in perfect shape, with a new cat and refractory assembly for $400 during the burning season.

The Encore I picked up the summer before had an good assembly and two cats. I got it for $350.

When I sold my VC Encore after one season of use I simply placed my CL ad and was up front about what it was and what it needed for repair (I discovered a crack when I uninstalled it). I had the part in hand as the warranty covered getting the replacement part (but not installation of said part) so I included the replacement piece. The rest was up to the buyer to make their own decision. I priced it to sell and the buyer seemed quite pleased with it. I didn't misrepresent it in any way - just stuck to the facts and kept the editorial review out of the discussion.

Bottom line - if you are up front about having had to rebuild it 4 years ago and seeing it needs it again now after 24/7 burning and someone still wants it, more power to them. Perhaps the buyer will want it for a night/weekend/occasional use in some pretty part of their home and won't ever need to rebuild it again - both of you will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.