What to do with a piece of Black Walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Couldn't bring myself to turn this particular section into firewood. It is all cross grain, don't know if that is good, bad or ugly. Length is 32 inches.

Attachments

• tree49.jpg
    tree49.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 256
First I would use hot wax on it.....Seal it.

Seal it all around? Every surface?

mywaynow said:
Seal it all around? Every surface?

No bigger than it is Yes in case that bad boy....If you do it with a paint brush or roller it will still look cool even though its in the drying process.

:bug: Oh my.... That would be even more stunning when resawed thin & polished for a jewelry box lid or small cabinet top...

Thistle said:
:bug: Oh my.... That would be even more stunning when resawed thin & polished for a jewelry box lid or small cabinet top...

lol I knew you would have a build in mind. I am not that quick yet....

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I'm always thinking ahead.If I find a certain piece either by scrounging or buying from hardwood dealer,I grab it if I possible can.Keep it until an idea pops up.I've got random odd pieces here squirreled away that I've either cut myself or bought over 20 yrs ago...Cause you never know when inspiration will strike... ;-P

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I'm always thinking ahead.If I find a certain piece either by scrounging or buying from hardwood dealer,I grab it if I possible can.Keep it until an idea pops up.I've got random odd pieces here squirreled away that I've either cut myself or bought over 20 yrs ago...Cause you never know when inspiration will strike... ;-P

I got 8 slabs 66x26x2-1/2 and I think theres another 4 logs out back I need to get to the getting......

yooperdave said:
Thistle said:

that's one honkin big jewelry box, no??

Hes got a nice band saw....Just strip it out into small planks. Theres a few boxs there.

Status
Not open for further replies.