What to heat with??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2011
SW Michigan
Just bought a new house, will likely be moving in at the start of the year or earlier. it's advertised at 2,300 square feet, seemingly well insulated. The biggest variable here is that it is propane heat :eek:

I was thinking wood first. I'm a young guy, having plethora of opportunities for wood, like doing it, have the equipment needed to do the job. Plus, I'd do most anything to save a buck. Here's what's keeping me from doing it, and maybe you can convince me otherwise:

Reloading the stove: I work, all day, sometimes into the evening. I am the sole owner of the house and won't likely be getting help else wise.
Roommates: Probably the biggest detriment to having wood being the primary heat. Paying customers probably won't be too fond of fluctuating temperatures or the idea of helping...not to mention the my thought of them touching my wood stove. The economic advantages are high enough, rather not deal with any other intangibles.
Dry wood: I thought I had more, but I really do only have a couple cords of dry wood (soft maple). Probably another 1.5 cords of black locust cut green late spring. I want to warm my garage, so I'm thinking I'll use it for that.

Am I going to be able to lean solely on a pellet/multi-fuel stove for this house? I really don't want to burn propane....Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 131
A good multi-fuel pellet stove should be able to heat the house just fine.
Depends a lot on layout and where you place stove (central).
Most of the new larger stoves are able to run on a thermostat (programmable) so you can dial it back during the day while you are out and have it warm house back up before you get home.

Large 55-60kBTU unit and good pellets will suite your needs.
Or look into pellet furnace.

Make sure you have good source(s) of good (Premium or better) local pellets and find a dealer you can trust.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Reactions: Wood Nugget
I would consider a pellet furnace. Sister it in with the propane furnace. Whether it be force air or a boiler. Both are available and will offer full home heating. With a stove you'll have warm spots and cool spots.

I would consider a pellet furnace. Sister it in with the propane furnace. Whether it be force air or a boiler. Both are available and will offer full home heating. With a stove you'll have warm spots and cool spots.
I agree w/ Jay on this....only way to be sure that theres no cold spots is with a pellet furnace or boiler.

However, if you DO decide on a stove, this is what many of us have....and since your in Cherry country, this will burn Cherry pits too:

/www.amfmenergy.com/49trcpm--multifuel-stove--2200492200.html

Free shipping to a loading dock near you, and great people to work with.

Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate the responses. That being said, I should have specified better and used the correct terminology. I do not intend to go the stove route for just the reasons you mentioned, but instead, would depend on a furnace. I'd like to pick up a wood stove to put in the main room, for the right price and dependent on finances going forward, but instead will depend on having the main unit (pellet, multi-fuel, whatever I decide) downstairs and connect to the existing vents.

Serious noob here, as I was previously convinced of heating with wood and spending time in the wood shed :eek:. Appreciate any help you can give, whether furnace or boiler.

If you intend on getting a furnace, then I would advise you look around. Some are better than others.

Harman, St. Criox, and Fahrenheit to name a few. They make pretty solid units.

I do both pellet and wood (I burnt the "Pain" too) I prefer pellet. Its much easier for me and my family. If I am gone, the Fahrenheit will run for almost 3 days on a low setting with fair temps (It was at idle all night last night and other than start up a little bit ago, its at idle now) The wife just has to set it and forget it. When it runs out, the Quads stat is set just below the Fahrenheits, so it will chug along for almost 2 days. So if I had to leave town all week, she dont have to lift a bag :).

The woodstove is next to the furnace. I like wood for its HOT Heat!!! But you need to keep a few years worth to keep a good seasoned stash, the bark, ash, bugs, etc make a mess.

I love both for different reasons. But pellets is what I prefer ;)

Welcome to the Forums

I would check into getting an energy audit to see where you may have some heat leaks to help slow down the proPAIN use while you decide on alternative heating sources.Insulation uprades etc have some of your best bang for your buck. May even get some tax credits to help!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.