What to pay for cut your own tops?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnuba

Feb 10, 2011
South Central PA
I found someone within 5 miles of my house that just had 7 wooded acres logged and there are a ton of oak tops available. I have permission to cut and take anything that I want. What is a fair and reasonable price to offer for a pick-up truck (6.5' box) load of wood?

You might be doing them a favor to help clean up the mess. You might not have to pay anything and they may be thankful.

Archie said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
You might be doing them a favor to help clean up the mess. You might not have to pay anything and they may be thankful.

+ 1. $0.

+100

no more than $20.00 in my opinion. I'd try for free.

A logger was working on a parcel that connects to my friends property, we asked about tops and when they were done they asked if we would clean it up , so we took a look at it and decided against it -100 cord was the estimate and they wanted 15 bucks a cord. The problem was they had a big mess up there we would need to have a tractor and chain to do it , and the time frame was a year contract no thanks free if you are doing them a favor!

k9brain said:
A case of beer is a good way to show your appreciation.

I agree. Some token of appreciation will keep you in good graces with the landowner (case of beer, nice bottle of something). This is especially true when the landowner finds something to nitpick about after you're gone (you left tire ruts, you made a mess, you didn't stack your brush, etc.). If the landowner burns wood or would like some for the fireplace, bring back a load of split wood for every so many loads you take out (say 1:5 or 1:10).

I've cut tops before and paid 24 bucks a cord,(4x4x8) I pulled some good wood out of there.

i cut wood for a living and always pay for tops. i buy all the tops on the tract. i cut for free one time moved my equipment in repaired the roads and skidded tops to a landing and 3 times found guys cutting on it evrytime it was a friend of the landowner that they let cut after i put the work in . now i buy it and have control i have still had people sneak in and cut but mostly catch them and can have them arrested or pay for the wood . free is nice but sometimes your better off to spend a little. 7 acres isnt going to have much wood in it i wouldnt pay more than 3-4 hundred at the most BILL

I recently went to a logged area that I thought the tops were for the taking just to help clear out the area. After 1/2 truck load I learn he wants $25/load. I normally don't pay for wood that I have to cut, haul, split and stack but he had some nice oak there and all we have on our land in the foreseeable future is maple and cherry, so I took two loads. My F-250 is full size bed with extended rails on the sides so I think I got about a cord of red and white oak for $50. Not a bad price if you have to pay but I doubt I'll go back unless he calls and says just come and get it!

There can be a lot of nice sized wood in tops.
Can be a bit of work to cut out, too.

In a way, if you're leaving small enough branches, you might be doing someone a favor if they don't have to hire someone or a larger machine to come in and chip it.

It is worth something.

From $10 to $25 is what I would charge.

Thanks for all of the replies! Free would be ideal... :)

In this situation I feel like I need to offer something so I am shooting for $20-$30 per load.

barnuba said:
Thanks for all of the replies! Free would be ideal... :)

In this situation I feel like I need to offer something so I am shooting for $20-$30 per load.

I've re-thought my original response. I think it does depend on where you live and what the circumstances are in that area. Where I live, for example, I would not consider paying anything in most cases. But if it was someone I knew, and he was not making me compete with someone else to take it (think Craigslist free-for-all), I would offer some small something in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.