What to use for cleaning chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2373

Nov 9, 2011
Williamson, New York
What do the experts here recommend for cleaning the chimney bottom to top? Getting on my roof is not an option right now because I don't own a ladder yet, besides the fact I hate ladders and my roof is waaay up there in a windy part of town, because it's wide open on a hil with no trees to block the wind. I've seen the drill powered methods and the fiberglass rods with brush, so can anyone make a suggestion? I've got about 20 feet of chimney from the cleanout, which is about 7 feet off the ground. Thank you!

I use brush & rods on 30 ft of chimney, but from the top down.

If your cleanout is outside the house, and it's a straight shot up to the top, I'd use brush & rods there too. The main problem with a brush is that it can get very messy at the bottom where all the stuff falls, if you're outside (or you can contain the mess - I sit an ash bucket under my cleanout with a bottom-cut-out fertilizer bag bungied between it and the cleanout) I think the brush is the best way to go.

Soot-eater. At that length you may need an extra rod or 2. If its a straight shot a brush and rods will work also. Both work well.

I bought the Sooteater by Guardx. You hook it up to your drill and clean your chimney from the bottom up. It came with a heavy duty plastic sheet you trim to the opening of your stove. I had my shop vac hose in one corner and cut a small hole for the rods to go through, started the vac and my drill and started pushing the rods and adding rods as you go until you reach the top. The sooteater comes with 18' of rods 6 @ 3', I had to buy a pack of 2 extensions for a total of 24', I have about a 22' chimney.

With the shop vac running as I ran the sooteater up, no soot got into the room. I was shocked that I didn't make a mess at all. When I was finished running the sooteater up the chimney I had a damp towel and wiped down the rods as I pulled them out. The whole operation took about 2 hours from taking the stove apart and prepping the opening cleaning the chimney and clean up and putting the stove back together.

I had the chimney cleaned once professionally and it cost me 225.00, the next year I bought the sooteater and 6' more of rods for about 80.00. This paid for itself after just one cleaning.

Brian

Moved to the Gear section for a more targeted response. There are several threads here on the Sooteater, chimney brushes, etc.

Depending on how much bend you would have to make to get into your liner from the cleanout door. A properly sized chimney brush and fiberglass rods is about the best way to go. The brushes are $15-$25 depending on your size and 4' rods are $8 each. If you have a large bend to get the rods up there from the door, then perhaps look into the sooteater.

I use a poly brush and fiberglass rods . . . tried and true design that has worked for generations (well the poly brush is relatively new).

That said . . . there are a bunch of Sooteater fans here as well.

I am in a simmilizr boat here. My stove I do top down with ease (brushes and rods). I have a stove at another house i will have to clean in the spring, but will have to do it from bottom up. I was planning on doing the bottom up cleaning with maybe more flexible rods, but the soot eater is enticing. its soot management that I am very uncertain of. This other stove is at a place with limited tools. I have a shop vac, but nothing soot-specific. Ill be watching with interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.