What type of silicon do I need to attach cermic material gasket to blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btanoue

Apr 24, 2011
CT
Hi,

I want to attach a cermic gasket to the convection blower.
What type of silicon do I need.

Can you guys put it in a name brand and type that I can get from Home Depot?

Thanks,
btanoue

btanoue said:
Hi,

I want to attach a cermic gasket to the convection blower.
What type of silicon do I need.

Can you guys put it in a name brand and type that I can get from Home Depot?

Thanks,
btanoue

Can you provide the gasket maker's name?

This is a ceramic to metal bond correct?

Does this gasket have holes in it to allow bolts to attach the blower to the stove?

Just making sure if you need a true glue or just something to hold the gasket until you get the blower assembly put back on.

Hi,

Sorry, I purchased the Gasket off Ebay.
Its a Cermic Fabric I believe that will need to be bonded to metal.
It does have 4 holes for bolts.

And you are right, its just so I can glue it on the convection motor so it doesn't slip off when I slide the convection motor back on.

I hope that helps.

btanoue

btanoue said:
Hi,

Sorry, I purchased the Gasket off Ebay.
Its a Cermic Fabric I believe that will need to be bonded to metal.
It does have 4 holes for bolts.

And you are right, its just so I can glue it on the convection motor so it doesn't slip off when I slide the convection motor back on.

I hope that helps.

btanoue

I'd use a small amount of any silicone sealant that has a temperature rating above 300 °F. It would be extremely rare for the temperatures there to be anywhere near to needing anything that is high temperature. Just a dab is needed

I just do the multi hand shuffle, that is where two hands magically become three, you pick an upper hole, put the bolt through both the convection blower flange hole and the corresponding gasket hole. Line this up with the bolt hole on the stove and start turning with your hand. Do not tighten it down, then you can position another hole insert a bolt and turn it by hand, repeat for the remaining bolts, then tighten things down with a ratchet. Look ma no messy stuff needed.

Hi,

SmokeyTheBear,
Thats exactly what I did to get it back on the flange and the two bolts.
But the previous Convection blower had it attached and I didn't know if there was a specific reason for that.
But it sounds like as long as its in there I'm covered.

Thanks for the reply.
If I do buy a Silicone, and brand or model preference?

Thanks,
btanoue

btanoue said:
Hi,

SmokeyTheBear,
Thats exactly what I did to get it back on the flange and the two bolts.
But the previous Convection blower had it attached and I didn't know if there was a specific reason for that.
But it sounds like as long as its in there I'm covered.

Thanks for the reply.
If I do buy a Silicone, and brand or model preference?

Thanks,
btanoue

For that purpose no particular brand is needed.

Good to see the old multi hand shuffle works for you as well.

The only time I've ever had trouble doing it that way was when there to too little room to work and to have two hands in the area. I used a small piece of scotch tape then.

Status
Not open for further replies.