What type of Surge Protector is best.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireManDan

Mar 6, 2011
Scotland,CT
Hey All,

now that i got my 55-shp10 installed my next item to buy would be a surge protector. What is everyone using on there stoves to keep them protected.
My other question is would a Batt backup with built in surge be a better choice than just the plain surge?

Thankyou Dan

I'm not sure it makes much difference what kind of surge protector you get as long as you have one. This is the one I just bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380358449411#ht_3063wt_1189

It was $10 on ebay. Nice and small too. (thanks to imacman)!

If you don't loose power a lot then I wouldn't get a battery backup. Do you have a vertical rise on your exhaust? That will help a lot with smoke in the house if the power does go out.

Attachments

• !B85+grQB2k~$(KGrHqF,!hUEzd5d5CcDBM4U,TiDE!~~0_1.jpg
    !B85+grQB2k~$(KGrHqF,!hUEzd5d5CcDBM4U,TiDE!~~0_1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 335
I have bout a 2foot rise then a 90good degree bend to my flue liner which goes 22 feet straight up.

Don't know what's best but I just bought a Cyberpower
UPS that has a pure sign output that can be used for pellet stoves
( I emailed the company ) it should keep it running for at least 15minutes
Allowing enough time to set up a generator if needed. Cost was 150 on Amazon.

IHATEPROPANE said:
( I emailed the company ) it should keep it running for at least 15minutes
Allowing enough time to set up a generator if needed......

Have you actually tried cutting the power on the stove to see if will really run it for that long?

Nice looking unit, though.

No not yet. It is in route to my house. It is rated at 9 minutes at 425 watts. The max the fans will run on my stove is like 360.
The battery time goes up exponentially as the watts go down so I think it is a fair estimate. There is a display that tells you how much time the battery has by the current wattage being used. I will try to remember to update the running time once the stove is being fired up.

If intererested in a UPS make sure it is the pure sign wave type. I originally bought an APC that was a step-sign wave. I plugged in a window fan and it sounded labored. I emailed the company and their recomendation was to use a pure sign wave UPS. However, APC is much more expensive so I went with the Cyberpower since the reviews were good. Don't know if it helps, but that unit was only a 500 watt one and it would run my fan pulling 45 watts for about 100 minutes.

I just picked up a APC Backups ES 750 as per Harman for my P-61A....
They told me it would pulse the exaust fan about every few seconds just to keep the smoke flowing till the stove is out (or almost)

Enough time to get the gen. going.
I plan to get the full backup recomended next year.

we do get outtages but mainly there intermittent but that could change anytime. What about a inverter setup to a marine deep cycle battery, I just so happen to have a newish Marine battery used only for trolling motor.
I like the smallness of the surge protector just kinda want a fail safe in case the power quits. Im still up in the air on what to do still have a bit before the stove will be needed.

A non-pellet guy here, but do you normally have problems with smoke in the house after a power outage if the stove is vented into a full length flue? Wouldn't the flue be warm enough so that you get a draft?

Don't know this is my first time with a pellet stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.