What type of Thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Mcconomy

Jun 14, 2012
I have a Pelpro Bay Window and want to put a thermostat on it. The one recommended by the manufacturer is an ACU-TRON, dual mode automatic and is 180.00 at the dealer. Can I use a different type of thermostat? I am not too fussy whether it is manual or automatic. Can I use a simple one like in my house or does it require this special expensive type.

What do I need to buy to ensure it will work properly?

Thanks
Dave

Hello Dave

The Pelpro Bay View is a nice stove for the money. I really liked mine. I used it for heating the shed! Any millivolt T-Stat will work that has a good "Swing Setting" to prevent short cycling in Auto-On/Off mode for spring and fall. I really like that Accutron II control panel.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Lux LTX1500U available at Lowes. It is a nice programmable T-Stat or with a flip of a dip switch all manual. I liked the all maual mode for my shed. Also had toggle switch on the wall inside my house to open one leg of the t-Stat. This way I could flip on the stove and have the shed nice and toasty when I went out there!

I recently put r15 insulation in so it saves on wood pellets! I use about a bag a week in the winter.

http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com...500u&productId=3382134&rpp=12&un_jtt_redirect

I removed those clumsy star bolts for the ash pan and went to Home Depot. I picked up some nice wing nuts for $1 that make it so much easier to empty the ash pan now!

Attachments

• TRHShedPS300sc.jpg
    TRHShedPS300sc.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 308
I have a Pelpro Bay Window and want to put a thermostat on it. The one recommended by the manufacturer is an ACU-TRON, dual mode automatic and is 180.00 at the dealer. Can I use a different type of thermostat? I am not too fussy whether it is manual or automatic. Can I use a simple one like in my house or does it require this special expensive type.

Thanks
Dave

Their manual isn't quite clear on how the thermostat talks to the stove. If its just a call for heat or call to shut off heat you may be able to get away with a non-Pelpro thermostat. But if there's brains to the thermostat, you may need theirs. The manual isn't exactly clear.

http://www.pelprostoves.com/pdfs/Pelpro-Owners-Manual-Accutron-Control.pdf

Looks like when using the thermostat you have two modes in which you can program the stove and how it reacts to the need to turn on or off. From what I read, it looks like the brains of the whole thing is at the stove, where you program the stove's feed rate, fan speed, etc... at the stove and the thermostat just calls for heat.

They also have two email addresses where you can ask. It does not hurt to ask. They may try to steer you into buying theirs, but it looks like you're interested in whether or not you NEED to have theirs....

[email protected], [email protected]

HTH....

Hello

Most stoves do not have brains in the T-Stat. The Quad MT Vernon AE is the only one I know of. I am sure there may be a few others.
As far as the Pelpro Accutron II goes there is no special T-Stat for it. They also have a seperate sheet on how the control panel works. It has 3 modes, Manual, Auto-On/Off and Auto-Hi/Lo. It is a nice panel. The only think I do not like is that the convection fan comes on as soon as you start the stove. This can easily be modified with an F120 close on rise snap disc on the right wire!

See PDF below

Attachments

• AcuTronModes.pdf
    108.7 KB · Views: 512

Thanks
Dave
The older PelPro's require a thermostat module to make the TSTAT work. That's what you are paying for. After you get the module attached to the board, you still have to buy a regular millivolt thermostat

The older PelPro's require a thermostat module to make the TSTAT work. That's what you are paying for. After you get the module attached to the board, you still have to buy a regular millivolt thermostat

That is correct, athough if you can get a new Accutron IV control panel with the built in xformer for the T-Stat, that is a good way to go! The new control panel also fixes the CSS - Cold Start Syndrone that I found! In other words the start cycle runs the combustion blower on Hi so there will be enough vacuum for the auger to turn regardless of the Heat Level set on the control panel!

Status
Not open for further replies.