What would you buy and why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnian

Minister of Fire
May 28, 2008
Limerick, Maine
Okanagan $275.17 per ton delivered

Cleanfire Pacific $264.21 per ton delivered (they owe me)

LG's $264.84 per ton delivered

Maine Woods SOFTWOOD $254.83 per ton delivered

Lowe's pellet (Green Team, etc) $197.98 per ton delivered (5% off each ton accounted for)

I would be getting 6 tons (except Cleanfire 6.5 tons), and use a Pinnacle biomass boiler. In the past I have used Cleanfire hardwood which reeked havoc with my system as the pellets were compressed too hard (I personally broke 3 Love Joy couplings, traded a bunch of bags with my dealer, and he broke 2 ~ Pinnacle designed me a knew system which will take anything now); Maine Choice (blend) which was okay, medium heat, and medium ash; and Okanagan which had great heat, but about same amount of ash (could be boiler design vs stove design).

Thanks ~ Jeff

Where are the Okie's for $275 delivered? no one around here that carries them delivers.

nksdad2007 said:
Where are the Okie's for $275 delivered? no one around here that carries them delivers.

What is Steve Barker (Wood Pellet Warehouse in Jay, ME) asking for his Okies, he delivers.

Doing some math for all 6 tons

Cleanfire Pacific $1717.37(6.5 tons)

Okanagan $1651.02

LG’s $1589.04

Maine Woods SOFTWOOD $1528.98

Lowe’s pellet (Green Team, etc) $1187.88

Although the GT's provide enough heat to get thru the coldest days, Personally I wouldn't spend the whole cache just there. I would bunker 3 to 4 tons of GT's and then bunker 2 to 3 tons of the Okies or another brand. Seeing your from Maine, MWP softwoods might be something to look at anyway. Another thing with Lowes and the other box stores. They think all wood pellets are the same. Even if you specify GT's they may send something else.

IMHO I have always mixed up my purchases. I do this for 2 reasons.

1.) to spread the wealth were I can.

2.) is you just never know what will happen tomorrow. I have seen places stop carring the brand I liked or not being able to get them anymore. I was left high and dry looking for another brand. So I always keep an eye out and tinker with just about every brand I can get my hands on. I like knowing whats out there just because. One of these brands could be the best deal in town next season?

I agree with J-takeman and the big box stores don't really know much about pellets. I was getting a couple of tons of GT and they brought something else. I said "no thanks", I just wanted the GT. The guy said they are all premium and all pretty much the same. I said I only want GT, I'll wait.
I also mix up my pellets. I bought 2 tons of GT and ordered 2 more tons of the MWP super premium from SIB. I too like to spread the $$$ around a little bit. I want to see the local companies do well too. I just think it's smart money not to put all your eggs on one basket. If something happens to a particular supplier, you are not out in the cold. Plus, it supports competition amoung pellet sellers.

nksdad2007 said:

http://site.sibwoodpellets.com/Home.php BRITISH COLUMBIA OKANAGAN SOFTWOOD PELLETS
$298/ton DELIVERED OR $373 FOR A 65-PACK! He once told me these are not the "cat smell" ones. One of the best pellets dealers I have found in this area.

i would buy 4 tons of the green teams , 2 tons okies . the green teams are a good pellet the price is excellent . when it gets cold out i mean really cold out the okies are just you would want for the extra heat

Gotta go Green teams.

6 tons of Green is my vote. I have burned them and never had an issue. That being said I LOVE Oakies but the cost difference is too much. If they were within $40 a ton then I woudl mix in som Oakies but not $70 a ton.

think abou it. At @ that price difference you could get 8 tons of Green team. Even in the COLD months you could feed an extra bag a day and still make out. I know there is more cleaning and all that but most of us clean once a week if we need it or not anyway.

Nope at that price it has to be GT.

If you are worried about all the stock being the same see if there is some summersets at Lowes too. That is what I got.. If they had GTs I woudl have gotten a ton of those too.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.