Whats going to happen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Storm blew an 35-40' mature pine tree into another of the same age. It is now leaning against the upright tree at a 45 degree angle forming a triange. I intend to cut it from beneath, about 3-4 feet from the base to get it to collapse. Is this a resonable strategy?

Every time I attack a tree like that it just drops another 4 ft until the dang thing is almost standing again. Be very careful. Trees that are hung up like that can be unpredictable. If it is an option - chain up to some HP and yank it down.

I back cut a six foot or so section and then tie a cable in the middle of the section then to my garden tractor and yank the section out. Usually it drops to whole thing.

It's my humble opinion that your strategy is a last resort.

I would use a come-a-long to winch the leaner down if possible.

Your idea is dangerous at best.

Ansehnich- I like yours the best. I will try it.

gzecc said:
Storm blew an 35-40' mature pine tree into another of the same age. It is now leaning against the upright tree at a 45 degree angle forming a triange. I intend to cut it from beneath, about 3-4 feet from the base to get it to collapse. Is this a resonable strategy?

need pic's

gzecc said:
Ansehnich- I like yours the best. I will try it.

I always go for the long rope, find the best fist size rock, maybe a tad bigger, tie the rock to the rope, toss it as high as I can over the leaner, use that to connect chain too, or just use the rope depending on the situation, hook up the come-a-long and start winchin'.

I always try this first as I find it to be the safest. Unless I can get the tractor in where I'm workin, then I'll hook up chain etc. to that and pull 'em down.

All sort and manner of crap can happen when cutting the bottom out of a leaner, and some of that crap ain't good for sustained breathin' if you know what I mean.

gzecc said:

gzecc, I have cut hundreds of those things and there is one definite thing I can tell you about your situation. There is nobody who can give you a good answer with the information you have given. Some can give a good assessment when there are pictures but even then it is difficult. Pictures from maybe 3 angles would be good.

With that said, on your idea, it is how I usually get them down but you have to know what you are doing. Just to say you will cut 3-4' from the base is not enough; you have to know where and how to make that cut too.

On the winching or using a come-a-long, it might or might not work. You only say it is leaning against another. Has it broken off or just leaned over and pulled up the roots?

As you can see, there is much more to it than to just say I'll cut it or winch it. These things can be fun to play with or can be very dangerous. If in doubt, perhaps it is better to get someone with some experience. Good luck.

gzecc said:

If it was 12" or less in diameter, I'd do what you said, over that, I'd choose a different method, depending what I had available. Hooking the Kubota to the base (15' cable on the winch) and yanking it until it slides out flat comes to mind. As said above, without really seeing it, it's hard to make too informed of a call.

My experience with cutting a leaning tree at the base is that it wants to fall away from the tree that it is leaning against. This is the opposite direction from where you intended to fell the tree.

Anyone for using an explosive device ? Or tie a string around your cats tail and have him climb up over the top of the tree then use the string to pull up a rope then use the rope to pull up a chain then tie the chain to a circus elephant and have him pull the tree over .. unless you can get a 4wd truck then you could use that instead. :ahhh:

mike1234 said:
gzecc said:

If it was 12" or less in diameter, I'd do what you said, over that, I'd choose a different method, depending what I had available. Hooking the Kubota to the base (15' cable on the winch) and yanking it until it slides out flat comes to mind. As said above, without really seeing it, it's hard to make too informed of a call.
be carefull when you do this I saw my old man break the arm off the ford 600 , It was not easy nor cheap to fix . What I have done in these situations now is I do hook a chain or cabel but then I hook a snapper strap between that and the tractor so ther is a little give .

Tony H said:
Anyone for using an explosive device ? Or tie a string around your cats tail and have him climb up over the top of the tree then use the string to pull up a rope then use the rope to pull up a chain then tie the chain to a circus elephant and have him pull the tree over .. unless you can get a 4wd truck then you could use that instead. :ahhh:

Tony not sure but do use the explosive device after you hook up the circus elephant ?

how fast can you run? I'd cut down the standing tree.

Georgiadave said:
Don't cut the standing tree to free the hung tree. A good way to get killed.

It was a joke, along with the cat and explosive elephant one.

Status
Not open for further replies.