What's in your truck right now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
OK, this question is intended specifically for people who have a daily driver truck. I want to know specifically what you put in your truck that you find useful. I've never had a REAL truck before. I had a Suzuki sidekick and then the Jeep GC Laredo, so I always have a tow strap and some jumper cables in there. I usually have this plastic container full of ratcheting straps and about a million bungee cords, too.

Now that I'm in a decent truck I want to be a rolling example of utility and preparedness, but I don't want to lose too much bed space or cab space to do it. Does anybody carry around a generator in their daily driver? how about your saws, are they there "just in case?" Maybe you carry your cheap saw around, and leave the nicer saws at home? axes/mauls/sledges? shovels? air compressors?

I don't want my truck to be a rolling target for thieves, so keep that in mind. if it could fit in my "black tub" then even better...

Hi -

I have only had a van or truck as a daily driver. I am by nature a packrat, so knowing the 'enemy' I find that most of the time I'm well prepared without traumatic clutter.

I have the following stowed in a couple soft sided laptop computer cases:

about 8 rubber ties of varying lengths,
a medium tow strap with a ratchet feature,
Hatchet - (large & sharp)
8'x10' tarp
6 pr nitrile work gloves
salt, pepper, p38 can opener, lighter ; )
a substacial flashlight or 2
3-4 emergency "Light Sticks"
a few ropes varies by season
Bug repellent
Various trailer bals and light adapters

The computer cases stow under the seat. Flashlights and bug dope in side pockets.
ATB,
Mike

FWIW, I forgot to mention that I have winter emergency kits in all of my vehicles, can't remember complete contents, but some hand warmers, flashlights, extra heavy socks, thermal blankets, lighter, candles, first aid stuff, flares, fuses, electrical tape, multitool. I'm probably forgetting something, but you get the idea.

Danno77 said:
FWIW, I forgot to mention that I have winter emergency kits in all of my vehicles, can't remember complete contents, but some hand warmers, flashlights, extra heavy socks, thermal blankets, lighter, candles, first aid stuff, flares, fuses, electrical tape, multitool. I'm probably forgetting something, but you get the idea.

My wife has something like that in her vehicle, in my old truck I had a booster pack for jumping vehicles, fluid for the plow, a pair of vise grips to get a better connection on hard to get at battery post, after clamping on the battery post (most of the time the negative) I would clamp the booster pack negative on the vise grips after I did the positive.

zap

I don't carry any of my "firewood" stuff in my daily driver. There just is no need to because I have our own land to gather from and use my older "work" trucks.

You are way more prepared than me when it comes to your truck. I don't usually venture to far from home so a flashlight, ratchet straps, bungies, work gloves, and music CD's are about all that is in my good truck. If I am going on a trip I will throw in some emergency items.

P.S. There is also a car seat and a wide assortment of toys littering the backseat right now from my 2 year old.

Well, mine is not a daily driver, mostly occasional use. It's an F-350 4x4 dually with a utility bed, 4'x12' with side boxes. I have a little extra space to cram stuff into that locks and keeps it out of sight. Here is what usually is in it when not specifically going after firewood:

1. First aid kit (all vehicles.)
2. Tow strap
3. Log chain, 25'
4. Four 5/16" plastic coated cables with hooks, 25', 50', 75' and 125' long
5.. Wyeth-Scott 6,000lb cable puller (instead of a bumper mounted winch, I think.)
6. Flashlight
7. Usually an axe, a few felling wedges, a bucket or two, a couple of big ratcheting tie downs (2,500 lbs, 25 ft.)
8. (currently a dozen rail road ties that I was too lazy to unload the last time I went to town.)
9. Occasionally whatever saw really wants to go for a ride (you just have to ask them all, or they get their feelings hurt.)
10. Usually a 3/8 drive socket set and a few odds and ends; needle nose vise grips seem to come in handy pretty often.
11. Tape measure
12. 100' cheap nylon rope, maybe 300 lb test
13. debris
14. cheap walmart air compressor, 12v takes about an hour to fill a tire...

When we specifically go after wood:

1. 3-4 saws
2. saw tools (files, scrench, etc.)
3. Bucket o' spare chains/chains in need of sharpening at end of day.)
4. Super splitter, sledge, steel wedges, maul.
5. Pole saw sometimes, depending on where we go.
6. PPE (chaps, gloves, helmet, etc.)
7. Saw gas/oil

Ha. I was going to add the car seats, and emergency food, in the form of half eaten chicken mcnuggets, goldfish, raisins, m&m's, pretzels, abc gum, and something that can't be identified anymore.

In the day when I only had a truck to drive, I pretty much just carried the basics. Chain, tow strap, and clevis, jumper cables, couple ratchet straps and motorcycle tie-downs, first responder medical kit, and a shovel in the winter. Now that I've got a family, I don't carry much of that stuff at all. I don't put us in a postion that I'll need it. Plus, we've got the extra food....

Beer

I'm kiddin.... :cheese:

golf clubs

Nobody said Shotgun I am disappointed.

Leather gloves and a riding crop.

;-P

(Not a pick-up truck, just a garden variety station wagon)

Continuing Dixie's theme: a 6' leather leash, some "treats", and at least two tennis balls... .

Also: assorted bungee cords, and line of sturdy gauge and sufficient length, dry-gas, 10-40 motor oil, brake and transmission fluid, a funnel, and rags. Also a nice flashlight and batteries that actually work!

OK heres the run down Jump pack(w built in comp and invertor),Rapid Hitch,small tool box of rachet straps and trailer locks,2 pair of work gloves,25 ft H.D tow strap,umbrella,winter hat,summer hat,phone charger,fire ext,and prolly a mess of stuff I forgot about too.

Although I have large tool boxes and carry all sorts tool and above mentioned items. The two most important are an old S&W 9mm and a roll of toilet paper. I am old. Don't leave home without it.

Rocks

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 244
Canoe straps, trailer wiring adapters, trailer hitches/balls, jumper cables, 4 wheeled furniture dolly, sawzall, circular saw, hammer and spikes, drywall bucket with random tools.

This weekend it was noting but couch cushions, cooler and blankets for the drive-in.

I daily drive an F350, it's cheaper than buying an extra car, but I don't carry anything in the bed except the had of a push broom, a one gallon jug of water, and a wheel chock.

Behind and under the rear seat I have loads of stuff stowed out of sight and securely. 4 motorcycle tie downs, a worn out carhart jacket, binoculars, fire extinguisher, ski gloves, fleece blanket, 30' 30k# tow strap, long jumper cables (long enough to jump a car that I am parked behind, great idea), a cheap socket set, hatchet, fold up army shovel, my fanny pack of tools I carry on motorcycle races (why store it elsewhere), real tire chains that fit during the winter, plus a bunch more stuff that I just forgot about.

In the doors, glove box, center console, I've got toilet paper, benadryl, gas-x, 2-way radios, epinephrin injectors (bee allergy), ear plugs, chapstick, bunch of granola bars, 20 dollar bill, an expired driver's license, 28 ounces of 2-stroke oil for the diesel, plus some more that I forget.

Under the seat is a loaded ruger 40 cal automatic for the zombies or to finish off road kill.

No work gloves. If you do enough work without them, your hands will have the glove built in.

Highbeam said:
I daily drive an F350, it's cheaper than buying an extra car, but I don't carry anything in the bed except the had of a push broom, a one gallon jug of water, and a wheel chock....

I've discovered, after years of testing, that a broom in the back of your truck, especially standing up in a stake hole, makes you completely invisible to assorted police officers... they just don't want to know!

heavy duty comealong,25' chain gloves, knee pads, tire chains assorted basic tools, jumper cables,tarp,shackles, t paper [ all vehicles] army shovel
flashlight or 2, oil for truck,fixaflat, tire plugs that have saved me many times

I've got my saw and milk crate with gas and b&c oil jug, ready for today's lunchtime cut at the office. Got a big pile of freshly cut and limbed red oak logs here, trying to take home a couple cords a week till its gone.

Everyday stuff that never gets removed.
Extra tranny and motor oil.
Funnel
Extra fan belt
TP
pack of zip ties
Small wrench and socket set.
Utility knife
side cutters
bolt cutters
Hammer
several sized screwdrivers