What's your experience with Appling County Premium Pellets ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph2078

Nov 15, 2008
MA
So I placed and order for a ton of Barefoot from South Shore wood pellets last week. She said they had 3 tons left, put mine on hold til Saturday. I called on Saturday morning and she verified that it was there and so on. My husband went to pick them up.. and he obviously heard me but wasn't listening when I told him the brand. He comes home and unloads a ton of Appling County Premium Pellets into our home!! I am so frustrated that she gave him these and told him they "were the only brand they had left"!! And it's not worth it at this point to load them and bring them back... right? So what's your experience? How screwed did I get? Did I get these only because they can't sell them and my husband fell for it?

Have you used these? I noticed already from one bag the heat output isn't that great (but I have only used one brand Fireside ultra before this) and the ash seems more also.

Stephanie

You should do a search on this forum for Appling County Pellets. You will find many discussions on these pellets. Many of the reviews are not so favorable. Some folks were satisfied with them. The biggest complaint with this brand of pellets is that there is a very high ash content. One other trait that some of us have experienced (but not all of those who burned ACP pellets) is some batches tend to have a very strong not so pleasant odor.

You should complain that these were not what you ordered and ask them if you burn a couple bags and are not satisfied, then can you return them?

I say this because the extra stove cleanings you may have to do with a ton of those, might outweigh the trouble to take them back.

LOL, I really should have did a little homework on those pellets before buying them. I went through a ton of those and would have rather sat in the cold. They make alot of ash, I was scraping my stove twice a day and vacuuming it out about 3 times a week. But then again stoves vary!!! just my two cents. GOOD LUCK!

Burned ok but dirty flame. Black soot, lots of ash, and they were really smelly in the bag and bucket.

burned ok in my Harman, but havent burned enough yet to give a well-informed opinion.

I purchased 20 bags about two weeks ago for $5/bag off of craigslist. I've gone thru half of them and would say O.K. for heat, but WOW, I have never seen this much ash. I went from cleaning my stove every 7 days to every 3-4 days.... I would only keep burrning these if the price was low - $200/ton or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.