When are you no longer under mantel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ledge

Sep 12, 2006
If I put my stove 1-2" in front of the mantel (so the back of the stove is 1-2" in front of a vertical line dropped from the front edge of the mantel), do I still need mantel clearances?

put a laser themometer on it, if its over 140 your to close. Otherwise, i think your fine. mantle clearances are usually spelled out in the manual, if its behind, i would go by stove rear clearaces and pipe clearances.

can you post a picture is the mantel made of wood or bluestone If wood I think your stove setup needs further discussion

In my opinion, that is close enough to warrant the mantle clearances. In fact, you definitely need the REGULAR clearances at that point, which are usually more than the mantel clearances. In other words, if the stove specifies 36" above it, you would need 36" to that wood.

This, in my opinion, would hold true until you got to a point behind the stove which was the normal clearance (for instance, if the stove was listed for 12" clearance, and the mantel was 12" behind the stove on vertical line as mentioned).

Webmaster said:
In my opinion, that is close enough to warrant the mantle clearances. In fact, you definitely need the REGULAR clearances at that point, which are usually more than the mantel clearances. In other words, if the stove specifies 36" above it, you would need 36" to that wood.

This, in my opinion, would hold true until you got to a point behind the stove which was the normal clearance (for instance, if the stove was listed for 12" clearance, and the mantel was 12" behind the stove on vertical line as mentioned).

Thats the way i read the situation, if any of the mantle protrued over the back of the stove, then stove top clearances needs to be maintained... etc.

MSG, my opinion is that even if the mantel does not protrude - as the post says - it is still subject to the regular top clearances. In other words, the top clearance of a stove DOES NOT JUST PERTAIN TO THE EXACT SHADOW ABOVE IT, but (like wall and floor protection) to an area around that. The exact area around that would differ, but I would start with at least 12"-18" or more depending on stove top (radiant? convection?) and other stove side and rear clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.