When I hear the furnace kick on I......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
Visualize dollar bills on fire.
Start asking who turned the thermostat up past 60.
Know we have been gone for a week and are trying to keep the pipes from freezing.

Your thoughts on this most unpleasant sound?

Know I am in somebody else's house. We don't have a furnace.

it makes me get out of bed and reload the stove. The heat pump doesnt bother me, but when the oil burner lights up, it will wake me up. There isnt any excuse for that machine to light up unless we arent home.

If my furnace kicks on, there's no denying I had too much to drink.

pen

Mine kicks on all the time, I'm used to it. Oh, BTW, it runs on pellets.

. . . spring out of bed since I realize it's getting cold in the house and I hate that sound of oil (money) being burned up.

I'd be darn happy, because that would mean somebody fixed it for me.

I hear ya! My furnace is directly below the family room where our stove is. When it kicks on the heat the DHW, my blood pressure rises! It's only for a few minutes so I guess it's not a real health concern...

...realize I forgot to hit the kill switch after a shower and run for the switch before the oil gets flowing. I've got a 30 second window between the time the powervent kicks on and the oil get lit in the chamber so if I'm quick I can get it.

mayhem said:
...realize I forgot to hit the kill switch after a shower and run for the switch before the oil gets flowing. I've got a 30 second window between the time the powervent kicks on and the oil get lit in the chamber so if I'm quick I can get it.

I've done that before. When I hear the thermostat click on for heat, I quick run and shut it off. Doesn't happen until the house gets to 60, which isn't often.

Wonder who turned the heat up.
Run to the basement to see if the stove stalled or is out of wood.
Check the outside temp to see how far below zero it is.
Wonder when the contractors are coming to insulate the N and the S side of my house. (They did the E and W last year)

Reach for the shotgun because someone broke into my basement- then I realize my hot water is through the boiler.........

BrotherBart said:
Know I am in somebody else's house. We don't have a furnace.

Ditto.

jeff_t said:

You & me both :)

...Find the covers and put them on, because I'm gonna get cold from all that high-velocity lukewarm air. Vastly prefer the slow & gentle flow of hot air from the basement stairwell/hallway/doorway...

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
jeff_t said:

. . . and me . . .

snowleopard said:
jeff_t said:

. . . and me . . .

Love it.

I got friends in low places ....

Love it.

I got friends in low places ....

Last winter when my boiler died a spectacular and colorful (green everywhere) death, and it was January and I went into full fetal panic, you were the one that pointed out that I was already heating 23/6 with wood so go breathe into a paper bag and bring in an armload of wood on my way back. And I did.

Sometimes we just need a lil' reminder . . .

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

I didn't realize that.

We amaze me sometimes.

I cringe everytime I hear the oil furnace kick on knowing that my hard earned money is being lit on fire! Got the first tank top off the other day at a mind shattering $3.95/gallon! Thank goodness I only needed 120 gallons. My goal this year is to use only one tank of oil as opposed to my usual 600 gallons. So far ive had a fire going every night this week after work so my furnace only needs to run when im not home or the fire has died down too much to keep up with the demand overnight.

When we bought our first wood stove, I turned off the valve to the old oil furnace, unhooked the pipes and stuffed insulation in the chimney opening. It is a Riteway boiler from 1978 and had to run for 45 minutes to get the water hot enough to circulate. I tried burning wood in it one winter since it has a large fire box. There was no good way to prevent it from overheating, the pump was going bad and it required a huge amount of wood (think outdoor furnace, but indoors). After we considered our options for replacing the oil furnace, we took advantage of the 30% tax credit at that time and bought a wood stove. Putting the stove in our living room was the best decision that we made. We had a coal stove in our basement at that time (replaced it with another wood stove last spring) but we could never get enough heat to our living room. We have electric heat in our basement that we can use, if needed. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only times that we are away for more than one night. Thanksgiving was so warm this year that we didn't need to turn on the electric heat.

Attachments

• old furnace.jpg
    old furnace.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 189
Don't bother me too much. It comes one to heat the domestic hot water and also to heat the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.