When should you wear chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I was thinking about getting a pair of chaps. All of my cutting is on the ground, bucking logs into lengths. I will do between 2 and 3 cord a year. During what chainsaw activity should you really consider wearing them? I am not sure if there is a large chance of mishap when bucking logs. What's your opinion?

ALL THE TIME!

Attachments

• chaps.jpg
    chaps.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 924
Definitely anytime you're having drinks at the Blue Oyster :lol:

Badfish740 said:

At JimBo's on Dollar beer night I wear the Helmet as well! :lol:

I never start a saw without having the things on. I would feel really stupid to whack myself again with a pair of chaps hanging on the wall.

Checklist:

1. Gas
2. Oil
3 Chain tight
4. Chaps on
5. Flip switch, set choke
6. Pull rope.

During what chainsaw activity should you really consider wearing them?

When the saw is running.

Chaps, gloves, logging helmet with ear protection and safety glasses. Chaps are my last needed purchase and I'll be all set.

I kind of knew this was the answer; "all the time." I figured not doing it professionally, just my own wood, people might not wear them, but that shouldn't make any difference. I didn't want to go overkill with gear, but safety first... can't argue with that. I guess I will order a pair.

If I'm cutting I wear them.

Wearing chaps over jeans can make it nearly unbearable to cut during the warm months so I purchased a pair of Labonville polyester summer weight pants with Kevlar inserts. They are much cooler than chaps worn over jeans. For me it eliminated the temptation to not wear leg protection during the summer.

chris2879 said:
I was thinking about getting a pair of chaps. All of my cutting is on the ground, bucking logs into lengths. I will do between 2 and 3 cord a year. During what chainsaw activity should you really consider wearing them? I am not sure if there is a large chance of mishap when bucking logs. What's your opinion?

All chainsaw activities and when your partner wants you to!

gibir

zapny said:
chris2879 said:

All chainsaw activities and when your partner wants you to!

gibir

Better yet put her in them! :cheese:

Badfish740 said:

Lol...yeah my wife calls mine the "A$$less Chaps"

ManiacPD said:

Wearing chaps over jeans can make it nearly unbearable to cut during the warm months so I purchased a pair of Labonville polyester summer weight pants with Kevlar inserts. They are much cooler than chaps worn over jeans. For me it eliminated the temptation to not wear leg protection during the summer.

That's what keeps me from wearing my chaps as much as I should is the heat. Anyone just wear shorts under their chaps?

Jutt77 said:
ManiacPD said:

That's what keeps me from wearing my chaps as much as I should is the heat. Anyone just wear shorts under their chaps?

All the time. Long Pants are not going to help any!

smokinjay said:
Jutt77 said:
ManiacPD said:

Full wrap ones or just the front covering ones? Which ones are better?

chris2879 said:
smokinjay said:
Jutt77 said:
ManiacPD said:

Full wrap ones or just the front covering ones? Which ones are better?

I wear the regular ones fit me fine. Only time I wear long pant is cold weather. Full wraps a much hotter better protection, but the real big weak spots is thighs and knees.

smokinjay said:
Jutt77 said:
ManiacPD said:

Lol, I guess thats one of those obvious answers... Chaps plus shorts it is this weekend!

Jutt77 said:
smokinjay said:
Jutt77 said:
ManiacPD said:

Lol, I guess thats one of those obvious answers... Chaps plus shorts it is this weekend!

shorts with an 880... :cheese: The other guy is standing on a round...lol

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 499
Chaps are mandatory in some western ring classes at APHA shows, trail for one.

Ooops, wrong forum ;-P

I always wear chaps, steel toed boots, and I always wear my helmet. I am bad about hearing protection for small jobs, and I am also bad about using anything more than my glasses for eye protection. I really should do something aout my eye protection...

Danno77 said:
I always wear chaps, steel toed boots, and I always wear my helmet. I am bad about hearing protection for small jobs, and I am also bad about using anything more than my glasses for eye protection. I really should do something aout my eye protection...

Helmet has a shield? No?

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

Helmet has a shield? No?
Nope.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

Helmet has a shield? No?
Nope.

GET ONE! I hate picking dust out of my eye. High winds with goggles and shield down you still get a little, but a whole system in one is the way to go.

I've tried on the shielded ones before (only in the store, though) and they drive me nuts. I was thinking more along the lines of some z87 prescription glasses with side shields.

Status
Not open for further replies.