When you can laff at your own misery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2010
Northern Maine
Last nite while out for a smoke break I was looking at my stacks wind was ripping .thinking to my self some good drying going on there then all at once the whole pile fell over. It was the first time I ever got to see it happen so the site was worth the restacking.I was amazed it didnt start at one end and continue it all went at once like someone lifted from the backside
BS, maybee I need stacking boot camp soon

Attachments

• oops.jpg
    oops.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 551
That stinks but at least you laughed! I generally won't stack between trees because I get tired of restacking when the wind blows. Try grabbing a couple of T posts and stack between them.

certified106 said:
That stinks but at least you laughed! I generally won't stack between trees because I get tired of restacking when the wind blows. Try grabbing a couple of T posts and stack between them.

My first year between trees after last year I refuse to stack in my lawn again.Still looking for a fool proof way to stack and a nice area

loon said:
thats good/bad timing for sure :cheese:

happy re-stacking :)

loon

Yes to see it happen was priceless,Did I say how much I love stacking (not )

i wonder if you were to cinch a good sized rope between the trees and just redo it every year so not to harm your live trees??

loon

oops-1.jpg

Me personally I would just get some pallets in the same area, and cross stack the ends. I bet in a good wind those trees sway quite a bit, even towards the base. I have much better luck stacking in a free standing manner.

Shawn

shouldntbesocomplicated said:
certified106 said:

My first year between trees after last year I refuse to stack in my lawn again.Still looking for a fool proof way to stack and a nice area

Hey, just look at Zap's stacks. He does excellent except for cheating and using those t-posts. lol I hope to teach him the right way some day. :)

This is what I hate the worst of all! Now what I do is burn it.......Seasoned or not!

I 2nd the use of pallets. I stack 6 ft high and the pallets shift with the frost and the temp changes. They should last five years and then I'll just pick up some more.

Backwoods Savage said:
certified106 said:

Hey, just look at Zap's stacks. He does excellent except for cheating and using those t-posts. lol I hope to teach him the right way some day. :)

Yes Zap has nice stacks ,nice timbers to place them on nice posts to lean on and looks like level ground all things I am lacking ,not complaining just trying to work with what I have for now IMO nothing lol ,maybe some cedars gotta die this year and buy the wife a post hole digger for the ends lol

ouch--but thanks for sharing the laugh!

I've been having a dickens of a time finding pallets. Used to be all over the place, and now they can't be had. Too many people burning them up, I guess.

snowleopard said:

I've been having a dickens of a time finding pallets. Used to be all over the place, and now they can't be had. Too many people burning them up, I guess.

if you're near to me, I have plenty free pallets. end up donating them to local FDs to practice squirting water on fires.

snowleopard said:

Well if you cant laff at yourself ,you shouldnt laff at others and I can and do laff at myself all the time I just like to share what others wont I am not afraid to be told I did it all wrong and will continue to do things wrong .Ok off to play with some wood and work the saw for a bit

Delta-T said:
snowleopard said:

if you're near to me, I have plenty free pallets. end up donating them to local FDs to practice squirting water on fires.

I know I cant come get your pallets only about 400 miles to get to that border and no truck

Delta-T said:
snowleopard said:

I know I cant come get your pallets only about 400 miles to get to that border and no truck

oddly enough, every year I end up selling a stove to someone who lives in Madawaska. They are always stunned that I know where it is. Try to find that guy before he comes down here, and have him bring you the pallets.

Delta-T said:
snowleopard said:

Um. I doubt it because snowleopard is a bit too far away. It would be costly to haul all those pallets to Alaska! But perhaps snowleopard can do like we do. Just cut some saplings when in the woods. Cut them to 8 or 8 1/2' lengths or if you have some covering that is a different length, cut them to fit. Like we have some material that is 9' lengths so for them we cut 9 foot long. It works much better than using pallets and is not the mess as you use the wood and then have empty pallets sitting around.

maybee I need stacking boot camp soon
Well, here's your chance to get some more practice. ;-P
The first words out of my mouth after watching it fall over would have been a phrase I've been using a lot lately...WTH?!! :lol:
I envy the amount of wind those stacks must get. Mine are surrounded by trees.

Woody Stover said:
maybee I need stacking boot camp soon
Well, here's your chance to get some more practice. ;-P
The first words out of my mouth after watching it fall over would have been a phrase I've been using a lot lately...WTH?!! :lol:
I envy the amount of wind those stacks must get. Mine are surrounded by trees.

Well I will get lots more practice my thoughts are this will not work as well as I hoped ,but money is tight so no getting it leveled out this year ,This years big investment will be a new tractor 10 years of my year round use or overuse has about done it in at the very least I have to step up to garden seriies .So restacking will be part of life glad I like the work

Tried and true fool proof method for stacking between the trees.

Attachments

• stacking between the trees.jpg
    stacking between the trees.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 183
:lol: Leave it to Solar for the answer!

SolarAndWood said:
Tried and true fool proof method for stacking between the trees.
It is all in how you define stacking.....lol ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.