Where is my "crappy" wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Yep, caught myself saying it last night. As I was loading my tote for a cold start and not needing a full load, I found myself fumbling through the stack and caught myself saying "where is my crappy wood".

Most years I have a fair mix of woods. Anything from pine (yeah, I said it) to Locust. This year is almost all White Oak and some White Ash for the most part. Who would believe that I was yearning for a few splits of silver maple or pine. :lol:

With a stack of nice dry oak and ash sitting in front of me, I was actually cussing out the fact I didn't have any "crap" wood. I think the cold has already got to my brains. {shakes head side to side}

I feel for ya Jagsy....... :p

Burning poplar this fall and liking it. Stove top runs about 200F cooler with a fairly slow and steady burn. It may be my new shoulder season fave.

BeGreen said:
Burning poplar this fall and liking it. Stove top runs about 200F cooler with a fairly slow and steady burn. It may be my new shoulder season fave.

I've been burning poplar and finding just the opposite . . . burning very hot . . . of course it is two or three years old. I do agree though . . . very nice shoulder season wood.

It's tough Jags. All I have right now is white ash but we get along just fine.

I'm almost at the end of the little white pine I got. It dried so quick and burns so nice in the shoulder season. I'm gonna miss it.

I got lots of box elder I am burning now.Load up your truck and come up for a visit and I will trade you a load of box elder for oak.What do you mean no? sounded like a good deal to me

This is probably my first year without a cord of red maple and/or pine to start with. Straight to red oak it is, although I'm starting with the partly punky stuff.

Funny, before this year my "worst" wood has been black walnut, but I've been burning cotton wood this year and it's been great. It sure helps from overheating the house when it's 35-40* outside.
s

LOL
Did Jags say "PINE"??? :bug:
You'll be needing the "good stuff" soon enough. Seems a waste to have to burn it now :lol:
You'll probably get by, gonna be tough on you but you learned you need to get more "crappy stuff" for next season LOL :lol:
"COME ON MAN"
No such thing as "crappy" wood, some is just better than other. ;)

Sorry, to hear about your bad luck. :lol: You will have to do a better job on scrounging next year. :zip: Stay warm....

I feel your pain Jags, Here I am recovering from a back injury, not supposed to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. and all I can find to carry in is hickory! :wow:

If you are looking for punky, mis shaped, twisted, bent, ugly, low btu, bug infested firewood... I've got plenty. It's the only thing I'm 3 years ahead on. :cheese:

Blue Vomit said:
If you are looking for punky, mis shaped, twisted, bent, ugly, low btu, bug infested firewood... I've got plenty. It's the only thing I'm 3 years ahead on. :cheese:

You & Jags should definitely "hook up". Rare the you wood would make trading stock. :lol:
I'm betting you have some nice splits stashed, for when you need it ;)

Jags said:
Yep, caught myself saying it last night. As I was loading my tote for a cold start and not needing a full load, I found myself fumbling through the stack and caught myself saying "where is my crappy wood".

Most years I have a fair mix of woods. Anything from pine (yeah, I said it) to Locust. This year is almost all White Oak and some White Ash for the most part. Who would believe that I was yearning for a few splits of silver maple or pine. :lol:

With a stack of nice dry oak and ash sitting in front of me, I was actually cussing out the fact I didn't have any "crap" wood. I think the cold has already got to my brains. {shakes head side to side}

We will finish up with our Quaking Aspen next week, then it's burning some Cherry. 27 degrees outside, 73 upstairs with the basement at 75.

I wish that I had cut more Aspen that was down.

zap

Heh - Such problems!

Littlalex

If pine and poplar is the crappy shoulder season wood, what am I ever going to do when winter actually comes?! :)

bogydave said:
Blue Vomit said:

You & Jags should definitely "hook up". Rare the you wood would make trading stock. :lol:
I'm betting you have some nice splits stashed, for when you need it ;)

True Dave,
I have the good stuff hidden away... Far away.

Having a range of wood BTU's for the burn season is like a 5 speed transmission. Low density stuff being first & second gear, they get ya moving fast but not far. B.locust & oak & such are 4th and 5th gear because ya have to be moving to use them but they are used for the long haul. The best years are those with all 5 gears available. Here's to hoping you don't burn out your clutch, Jags. Lol

Jags said:

I feel your pain, brutha. Im trying to burn punks, chunks, and uglies - and all I really have is white ash and black locust. And it gets worse.... for next year, all I have is 4 cords of locust. Whats a guy to do?

All I've got is Black Locust and a little bit of White Ash and White Oak. Maybe I'll have to try and cut more junk wood now.

The sickness continues. I have about a cord of silver maple still in log form on my trailer. Caught myself mumbling "oh, yeah, your mine for next year" and a little slobber drooled from the corner of my mouth. Sick I tell ya. With about 4 cords of white oak, sitting in rounds not twenty five feet away, I was looking at the maple.

I may need professional counseling at this point. :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.