Where is my exhaust sensor (ESP) ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
Hello everybody, I am doing my very first thorough cleaning. I'm also replacing a frozen exhaust blower motor. While I'm in the back I want to clean out everything that should be cleaned. I cannot find where the exhaust sensor is on my Harman XXV 2014 model. Is it something that even needs to be cleaned or blown off with canned air?

In addition my distribution fins seem to be extremely dirty. How do you folks go about cleaning the insides of finned area? I've already attempted to use canned air, however it is not doing the trick.

I use a 2" paint brush to gently clean the fins of the exhaust fan (I'm assuming that is what you mean instead of distribution fins). The exhaust fan is behind the ash pan (Oh, I see on the video you actually remove the exhaust blower assembly very easily to expose the fan). However, if you really do mean your distribution blower - I use canned air on that and it seems to work reasonably well. But I didn't see on the video where they told you what to do with that.

Reactions: jackhammer
I got the exhaust cleaned while I replace the exhaust motor. The distribution fins I am referring to are that long segment of fins towards the front Bottom. I believe these are defends that actually blow the warm air into the home. I wish to clean those fins.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
I have always taken the blowers out to the shop and use 150psi and blow the dust. Cat hair out. Canned air might not have enough uummphh

You’re ESP is accessible at the back of the stove. It penetrates thru the exhaust pipe at the back of the stove and has a red wire going to it. It’s held in place with a hex head screw. Back it out gently and wipe it down till shiny and reinstall gently. I agree that the best way to clean the blowers is to remove them and blast them with compressed air. 1st Time doing the removal of the convection fan is a pain in the azz but gets easier after that

You have been burning this thing over 2 years,and you are now just trying to figure out how to clean it?The probe is slightly far back in the square channel you brush out every ton of pellets burned.If you watch the posted video,showing the removal and cleaning of the combustion blower,after every ton of pellets burned,the yellow wires go to the probe.As far s cleaning the heat exchanger(the "v" sections) inside the firebox you use the factory scraper tool,or equivalent,as far as cleaning the convection (room) airflow,not much you can do,use compressed air,although,rarely a problem.Really sounds like you need to use the search box,above,and educate yourself.

Reactions: Ssyko
Yellow wire goes to the probe? I’ve only seen black or red wire ESP. I have the same 2014 XXV and I have a red wire ESP. I believe those yellow wires run to the igniter but correct me if I’m wrong