Where to purchase seedlings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
I want to purchase a some seedlings for planting a windbreak. Probably a couple varities of pine and spruce. What's the best way to get some? How much should i expect to pay if i bought 100?

Check with the state, they are usually about as cheap as you can get.

Bocefus78 said:

Which Dept would that be? DNR?

lukem said:
Bocefus78 said:

Which Dept would that be? DNR?

Ordered some from the State Forester. Ended up paying about $0.57 per tree, most of which was shipping.

Bought 100 norway spruce and 100 chestnut oak for this very purpose through the Indiana state website given above. Cost about $80. Should get a call soon from them to pick up and then the fun gets started!

indiana4spartans said:
Bought 100 norway spruce and 100 chestnut oak for this very purpose through the Indiana state website given above. Cost about $80. Should get a call soon from them to pick up and then the fun gets started!

I got 100 Norway too. I love those things.

Put a windmill. My neighbor did it and I haven't seen the wind blow since.

btuser said:

I already tried that!!

I've ordered bare root seedlings from Musser Forests and had pretty good luck.

Ah that unpredictable thing we refer to in the industry as the "wind resource"

Status
Not open for further replies.