Where to put the thermometer on a Napoleon 1450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
As it is right now I have an Imperial magnetic on the stove top about 5" in front and side on the top. When the fire gets going it goes off the scale (thermo tops out at 800F). I'm wondering if this really isn't the best spot for it or in fact anywhere near the front of the stove as that's where the hottest air goes around the baffles on its way to the chimney. Maybe it should be back further or more towards the centre??

Right now I've got a new load going nicely - it was off the scale after about 30 minutes with the flue temp showing about 1000 (probe). It's now sitting at about 700 on the top and 500 on the flue probe with the air fully closed for 20 minutes and mostly secondaries burning with a couple of lazy flames of the wood itself.

Do I have the stove top thermoe in the wrong spot?

Based on two readings it sounds very hot. What kind of wood is being burnt? How tall is the flue for the stove?

I'm burning hardwood - mostly maple and oak. The dbl wall pipe that comes off the stove is about 3 1/2 ft vertical to a 90 elbow into a masonry chimney via an adapter. The probe is about 18" up the dbl wall pipe. I have been reading that most of the stove thermometers have terrible accuracy, maybe I'll thros it in the oven tomorrow to see if it's anywhere close.

So, in the oven at a stable 450F the POS reads 625 and at a stable 300F it reads 475. Guess it's consistently 175F too hot.

So, now I know I need to buy another thermometer. Still doesn't tell me where to put it on the stove top tho...

I'd but an IR but my wife likes it to be easy and a simple "look" at the thermometer works for her. Having to get out the gun, turn it on, aim it, shoot the temp, then put the gun down, then think about what to do, she'd get pissed in a hurry.

bought 2 more magnetic units and surprise, both are way over on their readings - 1 by 175, the other by 200F.

So, I'm using one as a known bad to "calibrate" (read bend the stupid spring) the other to get something a little closer to actual. So I guess that means when it was reading 800 it was really only 625 and things were all OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.