WHERW DO YOU BY YOUR PELLETS ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe

Oct 18, 2011
Gardner ma
Just want to know were people are buying wood pellets, and at what cost per ton? :)

Direct from manufactures!

My pellets come from a local dealer and some from Lowes/HD.

Now that I am settled in to my pellet usage I will buy 4 ton during the spring specials and buy another ton or ton and a half at Lowes/HD/TS.
The local pellet house is a little more money...avg about $250 (not counting the one time Blazer purchase of $300) but much less work. I like to hunt what the big boxes have and hopefully they can bring down my dollar cost averge.

Pellets now.com. Paid 240 a ton for Turman but you have to buy 22 ton and have equipment to offload them. Theyre based in vermont.
I split with six neighbors and I have a skid steer to unload.

Got 1 free ton of pro pellets with purchase of stove. purchased 3 tons of pro pellets from tsc 175/ton found greeways at lows 3.59/bag. bought 4 bags I hear they are pretty good might buy a couple tons

Hwy.54 Lawn and Garden-Paris,Tennessee.Henry County Pellets (Great Pellets).$160.00 a ton during a Summer pre season special.Took a chance and bought 3 tons,glad I did.
Tony

Bought most from woodpellets.com and some hardware stores and stove shops.

I shop at in state pellet house to help support my local economy. I buy at there spring sale time for best deal and end up with high quality pellet for a nice price. Last spring I got 3 tons of Cubex at $235 a ton, so far it's the best pellet I've ever burned, keeps the glass nice and clean for days and great heat.

Home Depot ($177), Lowes ($197), Menards ($175), Stove Shop ($180), RKO ($175), Feed Supply Store ($190). Wherever I can get a good pellet for a good price.

My local dealer and bought some last year at Southern Indiana Hardwoods... picked 'em up at the mill...

Three tons from Southern States Co-OP. First 2 tons on 9-13-2011 $199.00 ton. Third ton 11-1-2011 was 209.99, best deal I could find in my area. Lowe's had Potomacs for $224.50 ton. Bought 2 bags to try , seemed like a good pellet but had to turn feed rate down compared to the AWFs I get at Southern States. Tazewell County Farm Bureau had AWF@ $209.00 ton. As of last week my local Tractor Supply had not recieved their pellets???? Talked to manager, he had no idea why. It seems really odd that TS had no pellets, except for a few single bags, and have had none all fall, I started checking in August.

I also got a free ton on a Harman promotion with the purchase of my stove. Have also picked up about 3/4 ton of AWF pellets at HD for 3.94/bag.

Will round out my stash in the next week or so to add another ton to ton and a half. Haven't figured out whether to get Cubex @ 300/ton or Oakies (not sure of price) from the stove dealer or stay with HD AWF at 197/ton and use the Great Americans when it is really cold.

I will be seeing a friend who has 5 stoves running in 2 houses this weekend and get some local advice. I'll let you know.

Lowes 179.00 a ton for Greene Team and Somerset
TSC for Hardwood Heat 189.00 ton last year
Agway AWF 195.00 ton last year

Gabe said:
Just want to know were people are buying wood pellets, and at what cost per ton? :)

Gabe... shop around...I did and the best I could do here in northern Maine was $220.00 a ton for both of these brands....bought 2 tons of the the Maine Wood Pellets (mixed 60/40)..I bought these at my stove shop these are also called MWP pellets...and 2 tons of the new Geneva Hardwood Super Premium Pellets....very nice hot pellets..buring them right now. Both of these brands are made in Maine...You can get a lot of info on this site...these guys are super pellet pros...me.. I'm a rookie and I've learned a lot on this forum. Might want to get them ASAP...most of the prices have gone up..good average pellets are sold at Lowes and the Tractor Supply Company..or big lot stores..better premium pellets are sold at stove shops and some heating / furance supply stores..Good luck!!

Thanks for all the feed back,Right now I got 2 tons barefoot, 2 tons okanagans, 2 tons NEWP, and 1 ton of Truman!! I got all my pellets this pass spring. The price has gone up a little,This is my 5 year burning and I fell in love with wood pellets after my first year.This web site has been much help to me and my family.
Thanks so much to all the members on this form for all the good Info. :p

Gabe said:
Thanks for all the feed back,Right now I got 2 tons barefoot, 2 tons okanagans, 2 tons NEWP, and 1 ton of Truman!! I got all my pellets this pass spring. The price has gone up a little,This is my 5 year burning and I fell in love with wood pellets after my first year.This web site has been much help to me and my family.
Thanks so much to all the members on this form for all the good Info. :p

Wow... 7 ton and you are not a "Pig" yet? Eric, imacman, J-takeman, and Smokey? What do the "Big Pigs" say?

Two building supply centers here at $149.00 can't use those in my Harman, too much ash, to $199.00 for the premium.

I've been buying pellets from the dealer where I bought the stove. It's an Agway. The owner is a local guy so I like to support his business. I've bought about 7 tons from him since Februaury. When I'm at Lowe's, to get things I can't get from a local business, I'll pick up a couple bags now and then. Because I am a pellet pig!

Just back from HD to pick up a few things and found some started pallets under cover, where they had obviously been buried. Took all the bags of AWF my hatchback could take. Still at 3.94/bag.

RKS130 said:
Just back from HD to pick up a few things and found some started pallets under cover, where they had obviously been buried. Took all the bags of AWF my hatchback could take. Still at 3.94/bag.

What is AWF....????....and started pallets...???

AWF = American Wood Fibers.

By 'started pallets' I meant that the plastic encapsulation had been torn open to get access to the bags of pellets (I know there is a Danny Kaye routine in there somewhere), but that because they were under cover and not out in the rain it was not a problem. Regardless of the merits or lack thereof of storing a full encapsulated pallet of pellets out in the weather, I certainly do not want to buy bags from an opened (or started) pallet of pellets that has been stored outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.