Which hydraulic fluid should i use in my wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NorthEastBeastCT

Aug 21, 2020
Vernon, ct
I recently purchased a new champion 27 ton wood splitter. I need to change the hydraulic fluid and filter for the first time pretty soon. Im looking to use the best fuid. The manual calls for iso32. I use the splitter a good amount probably 15 cords a year. I live in Connecticut and split wood in all 4 seasons sometimes when temperatures drop below 25 degrees. Does anyone have any suggestions for me??

I have always used tractor hydraulic fluid from the local farm supply store in my Champion 23 ton...buy a 5 gallon jug of it when its on sale...just recently changed the oil for the second time since I bought it new...2012 or so...I've used it in all kinds of weather conditions from 5-10* up to 90*...seems fine...little hard to start at 5-10* though!

Why would you change the oil? Did it get water in it?

If my manual calls for iso 32csn I use aw without messing anything up?
AW is "anti wear" (I think the AWE was a typo)...ISO is International Standards Organization...viscosity grading.
Not familiar with ISO32 "csn"?
ISO 32 AW is the common tractor/equipment hydraulic oil that can be bought at a reasonable price at most any farm/supply store...but as long as you use most any common hydraulic oil or ATF, and keep it full, and free of contamination (water) it will work fine in your splitter...they are simple machines and not that picky.