which log splitter would you recommend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goody1006

Nov 17, 2009
Eastern Washington State
I'm in the market for a log splitter--I have a gas mega-ton model that I can't start myself (need electric start), so I'm going to get a new one.

I mostly have locust & oak to split, with some large rounds (24"+) of fir.
am a widow on my own this year....looking at a 16 ton electric (ramsplitter) but want everyone's opinion. don't mind paying up to 1100.00 for the thing--but cheaper is of course, much more to the bank account's liking.

thanks.

Tractor Supply Company -- 22 ton huskee ($1099) It has done all that I have asked of it.

thanks--but I really need electric--I have a torn rotator cuff and cant' do a 'pull-start' type of engine, plus, I need to be able to move it to different locations.

If I could start the one I have now, I wouldn't need to be buying a different one!

Guess I should also add, depending on the severity of temp's , and snow on the ground, I can burn from 2 to 4 cords of wood a season.

jlow said:
Tractor Supply Company -- 22 ton huskee ($1099) It has done all that I have asked of it.
AFAIK it doesn't have electric start. I don't know of any in that price range that do.

{edit} I should have refreshed the page.

Sorry about your loss. I think that the 16 ton ramsplitter is a great choice for you. Flip a switch reliability and it performs as well as gas. Don't have to deal with gas or maintenance. It is also light enough that you can move it to the wood instead of moving the wood to the splitter. I would get the one that does both horizontal and vertical if you are going after those big rounds by yourself. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Goody,

I am also sorry for your loss.

I'm recently in the need of a new splitter too! Mine had a major hemorrhage yesterday. I'm looking at an electric vertical/horizontal ramsplitter, but would consider a gas model (I'm in decent shape and 47 years old, so have many years to go until I can't pull a cord (I hope)). I spoke with ramsplitter today. They are a small company and will build to suit me. Nice part for me is that they are about 1+ hour away from me. Their on-line prices apparantly include shipping, so I could save my self some $$ there. I've been watching and researching threads on the "Gear" forum on this web site. The electric ramsplitter sounds like a good splitter.

Good luck with your decision.

If your current one works well maybe ask the local small engine guy what is would cost and if he has any used parts to add electric start on yours

It sounds like you should go electric or at least electric start, but for what it's worth, my (new) Northstar with a Honda GX160 engine starts on practically half a pull with my non-dominant arm. It's just itchin' to go.

derecskey said:
It sounds like you should go electric or at least electric start, but for what it's worth, my (new) Northstar with a Honda GX160 engine starts on practically half a pull with my non-dominant arm. It's just itchin' to go.

I also have a northstar, 22 ton. And It is very easy to start. Had the neighbor kids helping me one day. The 9-10 year old had no problems pulstarting it. It is very light with no "back lash" or riping the cord out of your hand. Alway's starts on the 1st or 2nd pull. It splits everything we have thrown at it.

Don't know about those electric units. It'd be interesting to hear how they hold up?

goody there are folks here that split with electrics and speak highly of them...unfortunately I never paid to close attention. But I'm thinking you could do a search in the gear forum and get the skinny.

btw I too have a torn rotator cuff and the therapist show me how to make that pull starter move using the muscle in my back...I think it hooks into the shoulder blade to. Once you learn that move everything become easy again...but you have to think about it and even rehearse doing it before pulling the trigger.

The Honda's start very very easy . I think if you cant pull a 5.5 Honda you probably shouldn't be splitting wood .
You could probably start the motor with one pull from your weak hand .
electric would be easier to use but it will take longer to split.
We split wood for people for 100 bucks an hour . At 2 cord an hour x2hours you could be all done for 200 / 250 bucks .
You could probably find a young man to help you split with your splitter for the same money and give your arm time to heal.
I'm very sorry for your loss . John

Check a snowblower shop to see if you can get an electric start for your splitter. I'd check a small shop over a home depot type place. Look to see who makes the engine on your splitter. It may be an option to replace the engine if your splitter is in real good shape.

Matt

Another option is to replace the gasoline engine on your splitter with an electric motor. A 5hp electric is a very common compressor motor and thus easy to find. You may even find a used one like I did off a compressor with a rotten tank. If you or someone you know is somewhat handy, mounting one in place of the gasoline motor shouldn't be too difficult.

In the Harbor Freight catalog received yesterday, on page 76 there is a 7 ton electric splitter listed for $400.00.

If you are mainly splitting oak and locust the 7 ton electric should be fine. Those types split easiest of all the types I have worked with. I do agree that either adding a electric starter or electric motor to what you already have is a good option. The other option is to sell what you have and use that money to buy the electric one.

Status
Not open for further replies.