Which Saw ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixon

Minister of Fire
Aug 6, 2008
West Sunbury ,Pa.
MS660 ,or 395XP ? It's as simple as that .

lol you have it rough.......jmho 660

Flip a coin........ looks like you have a nice stihl and husqvarna, which do you like better? I'd get the 395 personally.

Get your hands on them. These are heavy duty saws. One should feel better than the other.

Probably would choose the one that had a dealer I felt most comfortable with handling any repairs/parts/accessories, etc...
If they are both the same, grab both saws and see which is a better fit for you.

Thanks folks . I'll just have to go down and put my grubby mitts on them . It is My understanding that tha 395 runs an out board clutch, is the correct ?

[quote author="Nixon" date="1272760443"]Thanks folks . I'll just have to go down and put my grubby mitts on them . It is My understanding that tha 395 runs an out board clutch, is the correct ?[/quote

yes

The 390XP has an inboard clutch and is quite a bit lighter for almost the same power.....but that is not a choice for some reason.

HittinSteel said:
The 390XP has an inboard clutch and is quite a bit lighter for almost the same power.....but that is not a choice for some reason.

lol

HittinSteel said:

I should have mentioned it as well ,but just skipped over it . Actually , that saw has been brought up a lot as a good choice.
In fact , given the price that I was quoted buy my local dealer ,it may well be My best option .

Bigg_Redd said:
If you want the better saw, get the Stihl.

If you want an orange saw get the Husqvarna.
I'll take that into consideration ,I promise . Logic like that is indeed rare .
As an after thought , why do You even state that ? I'm assuming that You've owned both extensively ,and had bad experiences with Husqvarnas . Can't wait to hear Your answer . :)

Nixon, if you have a good price and dealer, just head down and post pics when you get home with the 390XP

Nixon said:
Bigg_Redd said:
If you want the better saw, get the Stihl.

If you want an orange saw get the Husqvarna.
I'll take that into consideration ,I promise . Logic like that is indeed rare .
As an after thought , why do You even state that ? I'm assuming that You've owned both extensively ,and had bad experiences with Husqvarnas . Can't wait to hear Your answer . :)

I state it because it's the truth. No one makes better chainsaws than Stihl. Husqvarna makes good saws too. I'm not saying one is pure gold and one is a pile of sh_t. But you asked "Which Saw?" Stihl. Easy.

Bigg_Redd said:
I state it because it's the truth. No one makes better chainsaws than Stihl. Husqvarna makes good saws too. I'm not saying one is pure gold and one is a pile of sh_t. But you asked "Which Saw?" Stihl. Easy.

There's a good chance that I misread Your intent . It's easy to do online .
Any way , I went with the 390XP . It came down to dealer and dollars .

Hey Nixon, your original post was for a 395 I believe. I have a 394xp, as far as I can tell the 395 is its brother... and its a beast. What made you change to the 390?

maxed_out said:
Hey Nixon, your original post was for a 395 I believe. I have a 394xp, as far as I can tell the 395 is its brother... and its a beast. What made you change to the 390?
The 395 was a bit heavier , had on outboard clutch , and the the price on the 390 was just too hard to pass up .

Monkey Wrench said:
If there is no pic's .....it never happened!
Jeez ! I've broken the unwritten rule ! I'll post pics within the week .

Status
Not open for further replies.