Which size liner do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maggard

Nov 17, 2009
arkansas
I have this old blaze king insert. Long story short I am a mason and built my own fireplace just for occasional use. Then I started to burn in it every day, did that for a few years. 20 rick a year and still no heat. Got this insert last year, just slid it in and sealed the face plate. I checked it half way threw the year and cleaned it. I would love a new stove but its not in the budget. I can however swing a liner, a lower priced one. I used ACS creosote remover the second half the year. I have a 20ft. exterior chimney. The tiles are big 13x17 . I slid the insert out and climbed the roof to inspect the flue. I was supprised the tiles on the top half were really clean . The bottom half had some bulid up. The throat going from the dampner to the first tile is pretty nasty. The stove puts plenty of heat out and is in good shape. To my question it has a slot 4" x 14" on the top at the back. I am going to weld me a collar for either a 6" or 8' liner at the back. I would rather go 6 that way if I can afford another insert with in the next few years I can reuse my liner if its in good shape. Blaze king made some woodstoves similar to this one and i belive they used an 8" . Will 6"be to small. I was considering building a shelf below the smoke outlet. thanks chad

100_0263.gif

Don't know the answers . . . but I do know that the brickwork here is stunning. This is really, really nicely done.

Seems like since you have the room you could go with an 8" insulated. Those old stoves, when they went from the slot to a circle, seemed to more commonly go to 8". There was somebody on here recently looking into putting a liner onto an old buck stove with a slot like that, they sell converter collars for those that would work about the same I guess, maybe you could get a look at one of those and fabricate something similar. You're talking about welding it to the stove?

I agree that brickwork is nice!

On second thought though, the cost of an 8" insulated liner, and the fact that you would more likely need a 6" liner if you get a different newer stove in the future, plus you will have to go to a bit of trouble and/or expense to retrofit that stove... might make you consider spending a little bit for a newer stove?

That's a pretty looking setup you have there! So nice in fact that I showed it to my better half..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.