Which termination cap works best?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
Got 5ft vert on the outside, then 90 degree elbow. The pipe exit faces the northeast and gets a fair bit of wind. Do the angled, dryer-looking vents (pushing exhaust towards ground) or the round termination caps (blow exhaust straight out) work best?

If you're talking about a pellet stove I would think the vertical would be better. I had one of those horizontal dryer type vents with my old pellet stove and i found a lot of flyash would settle in the upper horizontal vent. Now I have a pellet boiler , easily burning twice as much fuel, and less vent cleaning (with a stainless steel liner in my chimney). Having said that, all the ash settles somewhere, so keep an eye on the lower exaust area.

I would pull off the 90 degree and go vertical all the way. You will have a much better natural draft.

Flammam said:
I would pull off the 90 degree and go vertical all the way. You will have a much better natural draft.

I'd like to, but I'm sort of set on just sticking with current setup, mostly a financial decision.

I have an out then up (around 8 ft) setup with a 90° at the top then going into this...

I've had great results burning and my white siding stays clean.

Mine is simlar set up. 5ft up then 90 deg and out. My end cap is horizontal, but can be turned to give a 45 deg down of needed.

So far, not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.