Which wall would be best?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John908

Nov 26, 2011
Manville,NJ
This is my first post.I own a bi-level and would like to purchase a stove this spring during the sales.The family room is on a slab.The room is 22x12,there is also a bedroom,half bath and laundry room on that level.The garage does not count because it is always closed.The up stairs is a basic 3 bedroom ranch.I am not looking to make wood burning the primary source of heat,mostly just for enjoyment.I had a 60000 btu kerosene heater going 1 time in Feburary and it heated the downstairs no problem.The upper lever also was warm because of the heat coming up the stairway.The picture is of the family room were I want to put the stove.I want to go out the rear wall but am undecided as to which side to go out on,any suggestions?I am thinking of the Englander 13NC.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 184
I'd need to see a top-down floor layout to choose a specific wall, but throwing it on the top floor positioned such that there are as few bends in the stack as possible should be fine. Can you go straight through the roof?

John908 said:
I am not looking to make wood burning the primary source of heat,mostly just for enjoyment.
Once you've tasted the fruit of wood burning heat, you'll soon be out cruising the streets like the rest of us scrounging for wood scraps like a bunch of heroin addicts. The first time is always free. :lol:

Hi John, welcome to the forums !!

A floor plan would help alot. I've got what kinda sounds like a similar layout, with the 13 on the lower level. What kind of square feet do you have on both floors?

John908 said:
This is my first post.I own a bi-level and would like to purchase a stove this spring during the sales.The family room is on a slab.The room is 22x12,there is also a bedroom,half bath and laundry room on that level.The garage does not count because it is always closed.The up stairs is a basic 3 bedroom ranch.I am not looking to make wood burning the primary source of heat,mostly just for enjoyment.I had a 60000 btu kerosene heater going 1 time in Feburary and it heated the downstairs no problem.The upper lever also was warm because of the heat coming up the stairway.The picture is of the family room were I want to put the stove.I want to go out the rear wall but am undecided as to which side to go out on,any suggestions?I am thinking of the Englander 13NC.

Not sure what you mean with that part in bold. Which side? If I am thinking like you, then I'd put it on the side that is the outside wall.

each floor 875x2=1750 sq ft total. I guess I mean on the rear wall were I tried to draw 2 circles,1 on each side of the door.That is a trough the wall deal.So it would be trough the wall and then trough the overhang.I like the area right of the door because it will end up very close to the peak.If I go out the side of the house I would need elbows to get around the gutter and then have to attach a strap to the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.