Which Wood??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

I've about run through my 2+year old maple. Only had about 1/3face of it, and used it to heat my house as needed since earlier this month..............haven't had to burn 24/7 yet. I have about 2/3face of 2+year old CSS oak in my utility shed. I was gonna burn this last winter, but I wound up tearing out my POS ZC fireplace and installed what y'all see in my signature.

Should I delve into my crazy dry oak or start dipping into my ash/box elder I CSS'd in like Feb. this past year?? I'm thinking I should dip into the ash and box elder. Thanks!!

Go for the ash and box elder. They are both medium density woods and should be ready by now since we had a dry summer.

Save the oak that you have for overnight fires when it's in the single digits outside. The oak will not last long if you only have 2/3 of a face cord.

Matt

I agree with Matt. I'd go for the ash first though.

Thanks for the responses guys. You basically just re-inforced what I already kinda figured!!!

The 2012 CSS ash and box elder is burning really good now. It wasn't at first this AM and into this afternoon, and I couldn't figure why.......................then after dicking around with it for a stove load or two, I remembered that last night while watching the 3 Stooges, I plugged the primary inlet with a ball of foil because the 13 was at 700+ and climbing. I forgot to take the foil out!!!!!! Duh!!! Whilst watching the Stooges, she peaked at just under 750 and then dropped and cruised at 650 for about 2.5 hours.

Boy, do I feel dumb.

Thanks for the responses guys. You basically just re-inforced what I already kinda figured!!!

The 2012 CSS ash and box elder is burning really good now. It wasn't at first this AM and into this afternoon, and I couldn't figure why.......................then after dicking around with it for a stove load or two, I remembered that last night while watching the 3 Stooges, I plugged the primary inlet with a ball of foil because the 13 was at 700+ and climbing. I forgot to take the foil out!!!!!! Duh!!! Whilst watching the Stooges, she peaked at just under 750 and then dropped and cruised at 650 for about 2.5 hours.

Boy, do I feel dumb.
Funny that happened after watching the stooges

Boy, do I feel dumb.

Believe me, that will not improve with age....

no that's not dumb. thats umday and ohmay. and if you have real problems the three were fireman. in all burnt up;)

Status
Not open for further replies.